1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Robotic guitar changes tuning automatically

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by warnergt, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Imagine a bass where you could switch to drop-D tuning (or any kind of tuning) at the touch of a button. Here's a guitar that will do it.

This robotic guitar helps musicians save time:
    http://www.news.com/1606-2-6221565.html

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    old news.

3. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I think that guitar is a great idea for middle-aged men who've always dreamed of playing guitar, never did, and now have lots of money to waste.

4. Hipshot has that market cornered.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I read somewhere they will expand to other instruments eventually.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Bingo!

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Did you guys hear about the bass that switches from fretted to fretless at the flip of a lever????:p

8. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    the guy explaining the back of the guitar sounds like squilliam from spongebob

9. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Only if that guitar does well. Its a terrible idea IMO. I heard its not even very fast, which would lose all the appeal for me. Another company did a MUCH better version of autotuning years ago. It was real real expensive though. Jimmy page was an endorser. I doubt this guitar lasts long. Gibson has a history of creating alot of wierd stuff that never catches on.

10. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    It's basically another money grabber for the fact that it has the Gibson name on it.

The Fender VG Stratocaster does a similar feature in a sense, but for like half the price.

11. a lever? thats out dated...i heard they can now embed a micro chip in your brain so it turns into fretless from fretted and vice-versa the moment you think about it !

12. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Well being I just got to play with one, I can comment personally that is very impressive, it's not fast though. But watching the tuners move it goes high and then low to get the actual tuned note, much like a human really tuning it. And it's actually using the real strings so the tension of the strings are correct compared to the Fender and other soft detuners/pitch shifters.
    Not to name drop but the one I tried was Little Steven's Flame top. :)
    Dirk

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Thats a common type of response in a control system. It wobbles about the set point (ie where the string is in tune) getting closer until it reaches the desired point. Personally I don't go over or under but gradually tune up or down to the correct point getting slower as I near if using my ear.

I don't find this system very useful. If it were somehow possible to create a system that constantly monitors and adjusts so that it wouldn't let the instrument go out of tune in the first place that would be useful.

14. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    Every bassist's dream... for the guitarist to have this anyway. Would be especially good for those who use whammy bars, but I think it would be hard to detect if you were out of tune or just playing a different pitch.

I've always heard that you should tune down and then go back up to the correct pitch. Something about the tension holding the tune better? Any truth to this? Thats how I've always done it and I rarely ever have to tune my basses.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I've heard this too. Thinking about it, it doesn't seem as though it would make much difference how you get there since there's the same force on the tuner. But I wouldn't dismiss it either.

16. thats the way to do it always! because if you tune down and leave it there then it likely to go further down more often ........ but if you turn it upwards then leave it aside then it acts against the natural unwinding due to the string tension
    i couldn't find all the right words but hope i explained the point

17. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I think you guys might be missing the biggest important feature is that it's meant to provide different tunings at the push of a switch. Lot's of guitar players detune or have multiple guitars in different tunings depending on the songs.
    Dirk

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007

:smug:
    The action would suck when fretless though.

19. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    So you save a few seconds changing tuning. This is marketed at pros. How fast could they change tuning without it, using just a tuner their ears or both. Especially if they do it on a regular basis.

I mean it's a really great system. Very diffciult thing to actually bring from concept to a marketable product. But really I don't see there being an advantage that makes it worth the cost.

20. I was always told to do it that way because the gears in the tuner are less likely to move from tuning up, rather than down. No idea if this is true or not, but sounds reasonable.

lowsound