Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by evilbrian9, Feb 6, 2003.

1. robots are cool, we all know, but do you think that if we made artificial intelligence and put it in a robot, that the robot would actually kill us all. i dont know, that whole thing about robots killing us, i mean, i dont know about yall, but i trust robots. they do alot of stuff for us, i mean, its not like all of a sudden my microwave flips out and tries to kill me. come on yall. i think we need to institute a robots awareness week.
  2. That's their plan, make us dependent on them, then they destroy us!!!!

I don't think we'll be making an artificial intelligence and putting it in a robot...because what would the point be? Why give something like that legs when we can just use it and exploit it.

There seems to be a thin deliniation between AI and Artificial sentient beings. Robots (or computers) with emotions, would that have to be programmed in, or would the AI create it? Does intelligence breed the evolution of emotion or vice versa? I can imagine it would, because there is so much information out in the world, a lot of it conflicting, and computers (even with this huge CPUs and processors) would need some way to sort it. I would imagine that emotions would offer some way to do that, or even morality.

I don't know much about behaviorism or technology to really make any insightful observations, but I think real artificial intelligence is a long way off. So far I think we've got a spidery thingy that can teach itself to walk.
  3. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    Kasparov goes against Deep Junior for the third match on Sunday (best of seven).

So far Kasparov won one, and one draw.

I think when thinking about computers, robots, etc., you have to consider the # neurons and the transmission/refresh rates.

Computers have us beat at refresh rates. Our brains are not that fast, but our axion network (nerves in your brain) is wayyyy more complex.

Computers can beat us at math, but we are much better at things like pattern recognition, relationship perception, etc.,.

I wonder if in the future robot wars, we will have defenses that incorporate this weakness (a bomb that explodes when you don't recognize a squirrel).

Currently this weakness is used by Yahoo to prevent spambots from making accounts from which to send spam.

4. Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    If true artificial inteligence were created (and DON'T ask me what i mean by that) I think there's just as much chance of it (Robots gone mad and arming themselves with futuristic laser beam guns) turning against us as there is for a newborn to grow up and be a rotten apple and turn on society. It happens everyday so I don't see why it couldn't happen with robots.

We as a society need to learn how to get along before we can create artificial life. If we don't, we'll create another human race thats just as looney and messed up as the world is now.(except they'll be super good at math and technical technicalities and probably armed to the teeth)

Did that make sense?:confused:
  5. Maybe they will all be like

Drunk most of the time and ploting to but not killing us.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Thanks guys :D means a lot too me ;)
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    "Go BACK, TOBOR!! Go BACK!!"

brad cook
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    plz note my sig.

while on the topic of sigs...

that is ridiculously awesome. when or in what class did you learn how to that kind of math stuff?
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Personally, I don't think we can create artificial life (and why would we want to?). Even if you could create the biological material, you couldn't engineer a mind or a soul in a lab. IMO.
  10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Do you guys in the US have different terminology to us?

The way I learnt it, you don't have 'an imaginary number'. There is only one 'imaginary number' - i, which is equal to the square root of -1. Using i, you form Complex Numbers - of the form ai + b. For example, 4i, or 3i + 5 - they are complex numbers - not imaginary numbers. Maybe it's just an across-the-pond thing, because I think I've seen Americans refer to them as imaginary numbers before.

BTW, that is a great sig though :D
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You need to read up on the :

"Zeroth Law of Robotics"

- by Isaac Asimov!

That's the one that comes before the first....!! ;)
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Law Zero:
    A robot may not injure humanity, or, through inaction, allow humanity to come to harm.
    Law One:
    A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm, unless this would violate a higher order law.
    Law Two:
    A robot must obey orders given it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with a higher order law.
    Law Three:
    A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with a higher order law.
  13. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Should we apply these laws to Windows, too? :D I'm sure it violates most of those - particularly Law Two :D
  14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, anything in the "i" domain is called interchangeably complex or imaginary. furthermore, for the electrical engineers in the hiz-ouse, the "i" is changed to "j" for complex number transactions describing anything to do with maxwell's equations, since "i" is reserved for current.
  15. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah I see. Perhaps it is a trans-Atlantic thing :)
  16. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    But now I'm doing vectores in calculus, and we use BOTH i and j when writing vectors. So confusing :(

Anyways, I think if we do put artificial intelligenct into robots, they will kill the human race eventually. Many people have said, and I agree with them, that true human nature is evil and selfish. Which it is: it is in your best interest to do whatever it takes to survive. The only reason we don't do these things all the time is because of the rules and punishments that are in place.

A robot with AI would do the same thing. It would do whatever it could to ensure it will survive and prosper.

But a machine is a LOT stronger than a human. A robot can think faster, and think about more complex things at the same time. It wouldn't have to worry about the consequences of its actions.

The day we really need to be scared of is the day robots with AI begin making more robots with AI. That will be the beginning of the end.

In my opinion, of course.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

NOT true! I have seen/heard several scientists remark recently that the human brain is the most efficient thinking machine we know about in the world today - e.g. David Attenborough on "Life of Mammals" BBCTV.

The speed of thought in our brains is faster than anything we can yet produce in a machine and the complexity it holds, cannot be matched by any computer.

Some scientists believe that our brain works at the quantum level and holds patterns there in "micro-tubules" smaller than atoms and hence, with a huge capacity. We don't yet fully understand our brains and how they work and given that these are all we have to work with - it is very unlilkely that we will come up with anything better!! ;)
  18. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Can you do more, and do it faster, than your desktop computer can? ;)
  19. Bruce Lindfield

Oh yes - it can't even get up and move about to get a better view out the window!! ;)

Plus it has no conversational skills!!