RobPin

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by mjt0229, Jun 28, 2017.

1. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Heart Emoji .png

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I heard several glowing references to the Robpin at this year’s ISB convention. Everyone seemed to really appreciate what a great new option this is.

3. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Also. New customers: Please! Please! Please! Send me photos and feedback once you have the thing installed. I can often point out small details about your setup which could be improved, and might make a huge difference. This product is not like rosin or a bowcase. It needs some tweaking it to get it just right, and there are things you might not think of. I am here, and happy to help!

And... Something special. Jay's glowing review was about the first thing I saw when I woke up this morning. On my birthday:)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  4. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Gold Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    will do!

ha, nice - happy bday!

Chris Fitzgerald and robobass like this.
  5. Erik Turkman

Erik Turkman Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    Does anyone know where I can get a Robpin, new or used? I’ve been looking for a while, and I haven’t been able to locate any dealers that have them in stock. Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

6. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Kontrabass-Atelier, Lando Music (Germany), "The Double Bass Book"/"Das Kontrabass-Buch"
    Have you inquired Rob, the maker?

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  7. Erik Turkman

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    I sent an email to the address listed on his website more than a week ago, but I never got a response.

8. Erik Turkman

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    As a quick follow up, I was able to connect with Rob the maker directly. All is well.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  9. flatback

flatback Supporting Member

May 6, 2004
    I like Rob. I like his product and he is very cool to deal with. Hope you do to.

mjt0229 likes this.
  10. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    My first response to Erik went to spam for some reason. If you don't hear back from me within a day then please write again.

Joshua likes this.
  11. oldNewbie

oldNewbie Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2016
    After about six months with mine, I’d like to give the RobPin a 10/10 .
    Started standing with it, but in the last month it’s been back to seated due to a separate back issue. In both cases, being able to lean the instrument back much further makes hips, back and upper body coordination easier and less stressful than with the standard straight endpin. The weight-bearing padded rod takes much of the downward force , reducing the bending moment that would otherwise be on the endpin. Considering the beefy construction of machined aluminum with many socket head cap screws to distribute the clamping foces and stainless rods carrying the loads , it’s hard to imagine this thing ever failing. Customer service and delivery time both A+.

12. My teacher uses a laborie style endpin and let me play around with it a bit while working on some Dragonetti, and I fell in love with the idea and feel instantly- no more hunching over to play thumb position, no awkward transitions, and was really nice to be able to let my dwarf style arms just hang over the instrument. That said, I didn't want to go through the effort and potential costs of a drill hole in my instrument.

I contacted Rob, and just ordered one of his endpins after reading some of the great things everyone has had to say about it. Communication was easy and Rob was very clear with what he needed me to measure and I've just sent payment. Just wanted to chime in because Rob is an awesome businessman and has been super easy to communicate with. I also have his ebony capos on my extension and they're fantastic!

When it arrives, I'll see if I can get my girlfriend to get some pictures of me playing with both a straight endpin as well as the robpin, so folks can see the difference.

Jmilitsc likes this.
  13. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Gold Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    You won’t regret it - had very much the same experience. it’s been the best gear decision I’ve ever made. Not that it was just a gear thing - as you say it’s an entirely different approach to playing posture that opens up the whole instrument’s range with ease.

I’ve started using the pointy thing instead of the rubber stopper recently, to stop from sliding around on slippery flooring. Works great and I think the bass sounds better this way too. I do have to tweak the height to go back and forth tho.

robobass and LeifTheBeef like this.
  14. darkocuk

darkocuk Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    Any of you guys considered getting wooden angled pin? That is what I am looking for. I am thinking of using Lammax system and replacing the cf dowel with hardwood one. I am totally addicted to the sound of wood endpin.

15. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Thanks everyone.

A few updates.

I have now switched over to the tips and rubber balls from Saddle Rider. I think this should all but eliminate the skating issue.

I have also switched from stainless tubes to cold rolled carbon steel. It is harder and stiffer, so I think will provide better sound. Still running tests, but with straight rods it is hands down a huge improvement over stainless. Both for brightness and for fundamental. My daughter said that she could feel the bass through her feet, which she didn't notice with the stainless rod. I found it made the sound more focused under the bow.

Just contact me if you are interested in replacement parts.

Wood? I suppose that could be done too. I have been planning to offer CF tubes. The one that goes into the socket would still have to be steel if you have a conventional notched pin style, but that rod is rather secondary as far as transmission of vibrations to the floor. Wood could also be used provided it is hard enough. Anyone know where to buy 10mm ebony dowels? I thought not;) Maybe I can find them in oak. I don't see a big enough demand to make some up myself though, and would need to test them for strength. 10mm seems rather small for this application, but might work if you aren't too tall.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  16. darkocuk

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    I think, ideally, an iron wood or cocobolo 5/8" dowel would be the cats pajamas. I guess that would require a re-design on your end?

17. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Indeed. The bracket would have to be made much bigger. Not an option. Still though, I think oak would work if the height is under 8" or so. I would have to test.

18. I've had the Robpin for less than a day and it kicks absolute BUTT. Spent a bit adjusting it to my liking and it's been free flowing since! Very well made, doesn't bounce at all, transition to thumb position is effortless. I'll be using it at dress rehearsal this evening and in the concert I'm playing tomorrow. I'll try to get some videos of me using it as well as a normal endpin so everyone can see the difference.

Incredible product. Easy communication, surprisingly fast shipping from Germany. Winner winner chicken dinner.

19. BassFalcon

BassFalcon Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2020
    If you mean just a wood endpin to fit a laborie style hole than Quantum has them, very cheap too, if you mean wood to fit any other system like Rob’s being discussed here than no.

20. darkocuk

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    20220304_101127.jpg

BassFalcon likes this.