RobPin

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by mjt0229, Jun 28, 2017.

1. darkocuk

darkocuk Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    Hi Rob, That is what I am using now. It is an aluminum 10mm shaft and walnut pin. I heated and bent the shaft and it works pretty damn good. Maybe an idea like this could work with your pin. The pin that touches ground could be steel/metal inserted into a wooden peg. I would like to try something like this.

2. darkocuk

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    Hi Jonas, Yes.. that is one of yours I modified. Not broken.

3. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Kontrabass-Atelier, Lando Music (Germany), "The Double Bass Book"/"Das Kontrabass-Buch"
    Ok, I thought for a moment that this happened during transport :laugh:

4. darkocuk

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
    No.. I am after a bent wooden endpin system and this current setup with your product actually does a very admirable job and doesn't have much bounce. But I would like to try Robopin with wood as it anchors itself towards the back of the block which might make it even easier/more stable to play.

5. Just placed my order today for a Robpin. I'll echo that Rob is very responsive and easy to work with! I'll post an update after I've spent some time with it.

6. darkocuk

Nov 28, 2009
    Kelowna, B.C., CANADA
  7. Curley Shadow

Curley Shadow

Oct 16, 2009
    Just received mine yesterday, the alleviation of pressure on my lower back and right leg, particularly while seated, was immediately obvious. So far, I love this thing.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Jmilitsc and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  8. This thread is a testament to the great resource TalkBass is, and after practicing with my RobPin for a week I wanted to leave a few of my thoughts.

I started sitting with my bass to be more comfortable during long arco practice sessions, but it was never quite right as balancing the instrument on the standard straight endpin required some adjustment to make sure it didn't go skittering across the floor (mats helped, but weren't the perfect solution). An angled endpin seemed like the ideal solution to properly resolve balancing the forces on the instrument in this position, and via this thread I was introduced to the clever little device that is the RobPin.

It does exactly what I was looking for; I'm able to position the instrument exactly where I want, leaving me free to concentrate on improving my left and right hand technique. The angled endpin reacts more appropriately (and predictably) to the forces I apply to the instrument so the whole setup is easier to control - including when standing, in ways I didn't fully anticipate but am pleased to discover. I'm convinced my plywood Shen sounds better too, though this is likely mostly due to the fact that the standard endpin is no longer rattling around in there, so I can hear what I am playing better.

Installing the RobPin was easy. It took a session of adjustment (too high, too low, just right, then fine tuning) to figure out where exactly all the rods should be positioned in the clamp, but it isn't difficult to make the adjustments. And once set I can pretty much forget about it.

Communication with Rob to order the pin and get it set up was also easy, and shipping from Germany was reasonably quick.

A good experience all around - I'd order another one if I needed it, even though I probably won't - this thing seems built to last, and if I ever upgrade to a different bass I know I'll be able to transfer the RobPin to that bass and get similar benefits. It is a great way to get the benefits of an angled endpin without permanently modifying a bass.

Attached Files:

9. crd

crd

Feb 1, 2022
    Has anyone who was happy with the Robpin drilled there bass for Laborie endpin and regretted it? Did you find it less stable?

I love my Robpin but like the looks of a wooded endpin and think I am losing a little bit of richness of sound. I am a little scared the Laborie endpin will be less stable/ bouncy etc. I find the Robpin very secure and I have been very happy with it for the last year or so.

I play jazz and move around more than most classical musicians and have the bass a bit a of a tilt to the side. The Robpin deals with these quirks really well.

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm still happily using mine and I can't figure out how I made it 25 years or so with a straight end pin. The position change is that helpful.

The endpin assembly on mine (not the endpin) kind of sucks to begin with and I've needed to make some modifications to the Rob Pin to make it work better. They may not apply to anyone else, but I've been meaning to take some photos and share them. I'll see if I can get to that today.

I do have it in my mind that at some point I'm the future,.I might prefer to have the bass drilled for a Laboriel pin, but we'll see if it happens.

@Curtis Ewbank is right. This would never have happened for me without TalkBass and I don't like to think about where I'd be without it.

LaFaro01 and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  11. mjt0229

mjt0229 Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    This is the sort of "Freudian slip" only bass players make. Abe Laboriel and Christian Laborie are different people , but it's pretty clear how easily wires get crossed.

DoubleMIDI likes this.
  12. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    My phone hates me. I shouldn't bother typing on it anymore.

You are correct, of course.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 11.14.41 AM.png

Michael Drost likes this.
  14. mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I suspect my bass player calluses make my phone respond poorly to typing. At least that's what I tell myself, so I don't feel so bad about being old and so much worse at typing on the phone than kids half my age.

Earl likes this.
  15. crd

crd

Feb 1, 2022
    (Sorry, if this is the wrong place to ask this. Let me know if I should start a new thread.)

Is it safe to assume that if I love the Robpin, a drilled Laborie endpin will work for me?

16. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    My thoughts on my personal use:

One of several amazing things about the RobPin is that you can change your position. When you get your bass drilled, you can't aside from trying shorter or longer endpins, you're committed. I know more than one person who got their bass drilled and then had to plug and get it drilled again because they decided the angle was wrong. I've spoken with luthiers about drilling and at least the one's I've spoken with have all said they could do it, but I had to tell them what I wanted and was responsible for whether or not it was right (the position, not the work). That makes sense, of course, they can only responsible for the quality of their work, not the idea.

I've been using mine for over a year and after initially choosing a position, I've only changed it once. (I'll post my mod to show you how I know I'm getting it in exactly the same place every time)
    At some point, I intend to go back to my old teacher to get his eyes on my position. I think if I (or you) were 100% committed to your position, we should be just as happy having our bass drilled as using the RobPin. Personally, I think I'd be a little happier, but I haven't done it yet, so I can't know for sure. But, if we ever wanted to try a different angle, we'd be stuck.

17. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Not necessarily. Depends on the luthier who sets it up. More than one bassist has been disappointed in the final result of a drilled endpin.

I have a jazz bass that is drilled for an angled wood endpin. For sitting it is great with the shorter wood endpin, no wiggle or movement. Standing with a longer angled wood endpin it is a wobbly mess. That is ok as it is my jazz bass which I almost always stand with and have a regular straight steel endpin to use. I prefer the straight endpin for jazz playing while standing.

On my arco bass I use the angled carbon Ergonpin which is rock solid standing or sitting. I prefer the angled endpin for arco. I will never drill that bass.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Karlo Monk likes this.
  18. mjt0229

Aug 8, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    My bass is drilled. I had some trouble with the pins wobbling, which I didn't have with the RobPin. I haven't tried using the RobPin instead because the drilled bass has a different endpin shaft diameter and I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to set it up. I've actually been sitting with a straight pin all the way in lately anyway.

19. crd

crd

Feb 1, 2022
    I fussed with the Robpin a lot the first few weeks. Rob was great and very patient helping me get it just right. Since I've dialed it in I haven't changed it in six months or so. My shoulder's and hips are pretty even when playing. All my back pain has gone away. I finally am feeling comfortable with a French bow as I did with a German. My posture changes necessitated the switch. I've had some really long playing days and can safe I am feeling better playing than any other time in my life. It was a humbling transition but I am glad I sucked it up and kind of started from scratch. I am lucky right now to have both ample practice and performance time.

I have a very nice bass but it is definitely a tool for me rather than an investment so drilling it isn't a big deal to me. My bass is in and out of my car many times a week etc. (This bass and I are a matched pair -- I'm planning to keep it for the rest of my life.) Potential wobbling while I play is though. I love how secure the Robpin is. I feel like the bass sounds better pizz with no pin in it which is what is making me think about getting the bass drilled. I am a little hesitate since I can't think of any jazz bass players who have the Laborie pin as Rabbath recommends which makes me think maybe it will wobble/shake when playing with a strong right hand pizz. My Robpin is pretty much mimicking exactly what Laborie/Rabbath suggest and is totally secure even when I manhandle the instrument. It seems like a false block may be more secure but anything luthier I talk to is not excited about building one.

Thanks, this is helpful.

20. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    rufus reid