1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Robustnessitudality of George L

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cheapbasslovin, Sep 18, 2008.

1. I am looking to re-cable my board with George L cables (mostly to clean it up), but I have a dual board that stacks inside of a suitcase. Since I have to plug/ unplug a couple of connections every time I set up my board I was wondering if the solderless connectors would stand up to that kind of abuse or if they are only good for a set and forget application. I would just throw it together and see, but I KNOW that if it fails, it WILL fail at a gig.

:bassist:-->:eek:-->:bawl:

Any response is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Based on the reports I've read on TB, it seems that George L's don't like being plugged/unplugged much. If you do it enough, you may have to "rebuild" them every now and then.

It's one of the advantages that Planet Waves solderless cables have over George L's, but the plugs of PW cables are massive in comparison to George L's.

So... I'd suggest figuring out a solution that won't require a constant rewiring/dewiring of your board. Otherwise, you'll need to start bringing a screwdriver to gigs. :p

(Then again, bringing a screwdriver is a universally good idea - and not necessarily for the cables!)

3. What I'll likely do is just keep some of each type on the board, but I loves them tiny plugs and moldable wire, and was hoping to have that work for me.

Poor Chad. :crying:

Thanks Boo.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Just keep an eye on the cables and tighten them every now and then. Having never used George L's on my board, I have no real personal experience with their durability, so take my observations here with a grain of salt.

I think my guitarist uses George L's, though... I should bug him about how his board is doing. But he has a fairly "permanent" setup...

5. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    I've never tried the George L's, but my Planet Waves cables started falling apart very quickly. The washers on the plugs themselves coming loose (I even lost a few) and the cable coming loose from the plugs. Of course, I was using them in my Moogerfooger rig, so I was constantly re-patching to get all the sounds I wanted.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have used George L's for years, and love them, BUT: the one thing they fail at is repeated/constant handling- the screws will loosen and need retightening. You can avert that with some Loctite.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    mine are always getting loose... but you know, i haven't bought new cables in years! :)

8. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Unsolicited testimonial? I bought 25' of cable and 2 right angle plugs 5 years ago. I'm down to 21' now and I've never had a better more maintainable cable. I have had the occaisional connection lapse, but all I've ever had to do is cut an inch off and rescrew the plug, with no tools other than a knife. The straight plugs? you need a small pocket screwdriver to supplement the knife, but it beats carrying a soldering kit with you. A friend of mine (JMJ knows who) builds pedal racks and he uses them exclusively. They're simple, they work. Done,finished.

9. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I may be the luckiest guy on earth, but I've had zero problems with my George L's over the last ten years. We're talking heavy use here too! I regularly plug/unplug/reconfigure my boards & have yet to experience a reliability issue.

That said, I do make sure they are assembled properly. By "properly" I mean:

1) Use a sharp razor blade/utility knife - not scissors or cutting pliers! This prevents crushing the cable out of perfect diameter - try it for yourself - it makes a huge difference!!! Make sure you get a clean, perpendicular cut...

2) Don't rely on finger pressure to tighten the screw-cap - use pliers. Since I started doing this, I haven't had any caps come loose - again after heavy use...

This is, of course, in my experience. Don't be afraid of George L's coming apart. Just put the same care into assembling as you might a soldered connection & viola- reliable cabling!!!

10. moondog24

moondog24

Jun 22, 2008
    +1

Another tip: If you're using right-angle plugs, DON'T bend the cable all the way over and then insert and start screwing in the cap. Bend the cable over just enough to allow the thread on the cap to catch the thread on the plug. Then let the cap's screwing action bend the cable the rest of the way.

My George Ls used to fail each time I swapped things around. Then I read about these three tips (on the Barber Electronics board, I believe) and have never had a problem since. Once a cable is built correctly, it doesn't fail.

hoby

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I've never had an issue with my George-L's.

If this was my board, I'd use George-L's between all of the pedals on each board, and a more traditional cable between the boards.

12. you know if the guy wants to use a dual board that requires him to plug and unplug a cable ......then why not just buy a regular soldered cable for that job and everything else george L's.....is this a crazy idea???

13. Both of the places I have to span has a bunch of cable connectors in a very tight spot and it would be nicer, neater, and easier to use if I could have a George L in those places. Otherwise I wouldn't have even asked. Here is a pic. One spans from the HOG to the Micro Q-Tron, the other spans from the Holy Stain to the mixer. The HOG has 3 connectors in close proximity and the mixer connector would fit much better if I didn't have to flip the whole connector over the top to fit it in the suitcase. I really like the suitcase thing because it takes up so little space in my car.

mixer.
    powerJPG.

14. drasticDUB

drasticDUB Guest

Mar 13, 2008
    I think they are great cables. I use them as my main cable from the bass to the amp. Never failed! Tons of use. As long as it's assembled correctly, you should be fine!

15. Right on, that is what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the advice scotch and moondog. And thanks for your feedback all.

16. I have used the same George L cable for seven years. Never fails.

17. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Me too... I don't use them exclusively, but I do use them for instruments so in and out constantly... no failures to date of any kind in over 10 years. Very transparent.