1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rocco EMG pickup tone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joplin, Mar 18, 2009.

1. joplin

joplin

Aug 31, 2008
    NYC
    I picked up a copy of Rocco's video for fingerstyle funk and like the tone he gets with the bass he used in the video. The tone, especially the higher notes, has sort of a "rubbery" texture to it that I can't explain. It's got growl but it's got this really nice nasal sort of snuffleupagus sound that rides along.

I'm pretty sure the pickups are EMG - they do not look like a stacked pair of P bass pickups, or the narrow bar like Jazz bass pickups. They look much wider than the jazz bass bar, more like 1 1/2 inches wide.

I did a little looking and it seems EMG makes a lot of pickups with that form factor but I can't find anything that details what model he uses. Carmine Rojas has a similar tone with his ESP guitars.

I really like that tone - just not sure what pickup make/model they are. Any ideas?