Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rocco Prestia "politics" in Rising Low

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DigMe, Dec 2, 2002.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So I finally got around to listening to the director's commentary from Mike Gordon on my Rising Low DVD and he mentioned that Rocco Prestia asked that they not show the headstock of his bass for "political reasons." I assume it had something to do with showing the brand name or something. Anyone know what the deal is? Looked to me like he was playing his Conklin signature model bass (maybe that's what I'm wrong about, which would explain a lot). Why would Prestia not have wanted anyone to see the Conklin name on his headstock?

brad cook

ps - by the way..has anyone ever played the Conklin Prestia model? How was it?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm pretty sure that was a fender p

he had some issues with fender kinda blowing him off (i think that is what i had heard)

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'll have to go back and look again but I didn't think it was a Fender. If it was a Fender though that would explain why he wouldn't want the headstock shown, since he has an endorsement deal and signature bass with Conklin.

brad cook

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah I watched it again. Looks like a Fender but the headstock doesn't say Fender and it looks like it possibly has locking tuners. Headstock doesn't say anything actually but if there was some problem with Rocco playing a bass that's not the one he endorses then the brand name could have been digitally erased or something. It's definitely NOT his Conklin signature model. Has the classic Fender headstock shape.

Anyway...I'm still wondering if anyone knows what the "politics" involved here are.

brad cook

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i think this was recorded befroe the conklin was done. thus him using a fender. if i remember right there is like black tape over the name on the 'stock. also if you notice that wasnt the same studio as the rest of them were recording in....maybe it was a house bass? but i am tryin my best not to gas for one of those conklin sig's. hell after playin JT's i might even consider a 7:eek:

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    did you hear that he had some issues when they were trying to work out a deal with Fender. i think someone here wrote about it