1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rock/Alternative bassist looking to expand horizons.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by andyrourke, Jul 18, 2007.

1. andyrourke

andyrourke

Jul 18, 2007
    I'm mostly a "rock/alternative/emo, etc" kind of guy

but I'm looking for some bass playing to expand my mind and style. I'm aware, but not farmilar with people like Marcus Miller and Vic Wooten, etc...but I'm wondering where I should start to expand my bass horizons beyond people like Andy Rourke and Rob Pope...new styles of music, but start me off slowly (good stuff, but not terribly terribly far removed from rock music)

thanks a ton!

2. bbe

bbe

Nov 6, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    check out primus. les claypool is a great bassist, and they are still in that rock genre.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Fima Ephron from the Screaming Headless Torsos.

...or how about Living Colour's debut album with Muzz Skillings?

4. Listened to Mr. Bungle's self-titled album today. Trevor Dunn (the bass player) is all over it. Get this album (or any of their albums actually).

5. Denial54

Denial54

Jan 26, 2007
    When ever your in the car, turn on the radio and always have a pen and paper so you can write the band name down and check them out when you get home. Thats what I do. It doesn't have to be an amazing bassist to be helpful and expand horizons.

6. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    Jaco Pastorius

:)