1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Rock" Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megadan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. This isn't intended to be a troll :hyper:

I'm curious if you think that amps that people claim as "rock" amps (GK, Ampeg, etc.) stereotypically, have less low end response, physically, than "clean" or "hi-fi" amps like SWR, Eden, Aguilar, etc.

In other words, they tend to be mid oriented, and low off the roll end.

Or does it simply vary from manufacturer to manufacturer? Some amps are just "better" than others?

I find that I never favor my open "E" string playing bass lines, so I wonder if this has always been due to my choice of amps...?

2. ampeg svt's have alot of mids/low mids to them due to the tone stack. not sure about others. i think low mids are pretty important for a traditional rock tone.
    on the other hand, rock is such a diverse genre that any amp will work assuming that the playing style/other instruments fit the sound.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nope, not really.

4. i woulda said eden were more of a rock amp :S

5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    +1

6. wallybill

wallybill

Apr 4, 2007
    Tuscola, Il.
    I concur. I've got an Eden WT800 that sounds great & I use it a lot, but the old SVT still sounds better to me - plenty of low end. I don't think the "rock" amps lack anything.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    GK is anything but mid oriented. The way to answer this question is to find out what the actual response curves are.

8. rag

rag

Mar 24, 2003
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    It's the whole rig including the bass and especially the artist.

9. Oranges sound good if you want a 10s vintage esque tone.

10. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    +1

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That's certainly a valid point.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Ha Ha Ha...Isn't marketing an amazing force for creating desire and fostering ignorance?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes it is. Crazy. Oh well, just remember..."caviar emptor."

14. I've spent the last few minutes searching manuals.

The SVT-CL manual says "-3dB @ 40Hz" so you could assume that's where the roll off starts there, but no telling how steep it is.

The Eden 800WT says "10Hz - 15KHz ±2dB"

SWR 350X claims "-3dB @ 20Hz and 40KHz "

Phil Jones M-500: No output stats, but input "20Hz -20KHz +/- 1dB"

I just wonder if people have noticed a deeper tone with certain amps. For example, my GK is not what I would call 'deep,' but that may have more to do with the cabinet (610HLF).

Based on the numbers above, the Eden might be deeper than the Ampeg?

But I guess rag is right, a well designed amp should deliver whatever a speaker can handle, so the speaker roll off is probably more important in determining the frequency response of the whole system.

15. +1 on the Orange.

16. just to add to the idea.

in typical rock music the kick occupies the lowest frequencies with the bass on top of that, where in typical metal (probably of the last decade or 2, as opposed to early metal) the kick occupies higher frequencies to allow the speed at which the double kick operates to be heard, as opposed to a wall of mush. this leaves the bass guitar to fill the lowest frequencies, where typical rock it is more associated with the mids.

then again, in modern metal there are alot of detuned guitars who seem to like the idea of living down there as well, and not give the bass much room. sometimes the bassist would find another frequency gap to fill, sometimes with a clicky HF tone from fretnoise and upper mids or something else, but thats straying from the idea a bit.

17. the engine

the engine Guest

I think you can get most frequencies from most amps. Sounds over simplified but I don't think that one amp outshines another for rock. It all depends on the "rock" and the band, and the mix, etc. So the short answer to your questions is "NO". I don't find that at all. Not a bad question for thought though.

18. A 610 HLF is certainly one of the deeper sounding cabs with 10" speakers... so thats not the problem.

What kind of bass are you using??

Other than that, Im not really a GK fan to begin with, I think their to sterile and nasal sounding

19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    An SVT CL on the right cabinet will sound downright rumbly! Don't let the numbers fool you and remember that what the amp is going to put out starts with the instrument in your hands. There are some cheapo 5 strings out there that don't even produce the low fundamental of the B-string 32hz, much less a usable bass tone.

All of those amps you have shown can go down low, but just because their response is down to 20hz, does not mean the speaker cab you have is going to put that note out. In the end, trust your ears, get a good bass, and forget about all sounds below 30hz (you can't hear them too well anyway).

20. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I'd say it depends on the rock you are talking about. If you are talking about stuff like zeppelin, John Paul Jones generally had a real deep bass tone. But people like Geddy Lee had a lot more high end and mids. For me, I love the real nice deep bass tones the most. The punchy mids and trebles like Geddy Lee does is ok some times, but nothing like the tone of a real solid bassy bottom end IMHO.