1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Rock" Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megadan, Mar 21, 2009.

1. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    pbass>svt.

2. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    I think you do have a point in that most of the heavier (Rock) bass players have figured out that it's best to focus their sound in the mids. A lot of rock players use distortion too and that works best in the mids (e.g. Geddy Lee).
    Having a lot of lows just gets lost and muddy and a lot of highs is best for the slap-happy Marcus Miller types.
    I'd definately call the SVT a rock amp.
    The GK??? Well, they do get used by some rock players though I personally think their preamp voicing tries to be all things to all people and suffers for rock.
    A Samsamp RBI is DEFINATELY a rock preamp. VERRRY focused, not too much lows or highs.
    I'd definately call my Mesa Powerhouse 8x10 a rock cab.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    GK not bass oriented? My RB1001II has the bass knob on ZERO or close to it at loud volumes with any bass I play (thunderbird, jazz, warwick copy). Of course I am using effects but that head puts out TONS of bass.

4. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I have played through so many rigs in my touring days, but I really have to recommend the Peavey Pro 500. My friend's studio got one for free from Dave E,and he let me gig with it.

Basically, this thing crushed, and every show i got tone questions from other bands. I use no effects and a Fender Jazz bass. This thing just distorts so well, and if you boost around 900k, you will cut like a knife and not sound like a clicky amateur. Give this amp a ride..I love the hell out of it.

If not that..get an SVT and move on. Bass is so much less about gear to me, and so much more about playing. That is what separates us from the guitarists..you just need a quality amp that distorts well if you are playing rock. It's amazing how many players have yet to figure this out.