Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rock and/or Roll

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by gruffpuppy, May 18, 2001.

1. Hey guys, as reading through the DB section I came across the thread "What do you guys do for a living?"
    Quick question, It was shortly stated that some of you guys prefer not to listen to R&R. If you do what do you listen to.

I love jazz and classical, if I didn't I probably would not have had a dream of playing the DB but there are bands even with out the DB that I love to listen to. Frank Zappa and King Crimson are probably the first ones off the top of my head, and I even think that Willie Dixon on his DB "made" a lot of the blues standard riffs we know today.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I have a soft spot for Steely Dan, since they were the band that first introduced me to "Jazzlike" sounds when I was about 18. Last year I bought my wife (also a big fan) their boxed set for X-mas, and all four discs get serious air time around here whenever we have a home improvement project in the works. She's also into Stevie Wonder and Dire Straits, and has learned that I won't ask her to put on her headphones if she plays these when I'm in the vicinity (unless I'm practicing, or course...).

Do any of the above scenarios count?

3. Well, I originally came from playing rock music before tackling classical, so even at my snootiest rock was always marginally present. Not long ago, I realized just how much I had pushed rock music out, and not even actively, it was more just other stuff coming up, (ethnic music such as klezmer being heavy in this), and I've kind of sought to remedy it. These days I've dug out Soundgarden, Ministry, Living Colour, and even as I type this am listening to Geddy Lee's "My Favorite Headache". I also really dig White Zombie/Rob Zombie and Rage Against the Machine, although I don't own any of their stuff... yet. Lots of stuff to take care of before then.

4. Are you talking to me? :D
    If yes then Yes
    Just wanted to find out if the DB players listened to mostly DB music. I personally love a lot of different types of music but most everything I listen to is still heavy in the bass department.

5. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oh, heavens my listening is startlingly eclectic. In the stack of CDs at work today (mostly new acquisitions):

Linda Lubell - The Bright Side (local folk singer)
    Joel Quarrington - Bottesini vol 1
    Bare Naked Ladies - Gordon
    James Newton - Echo Canyon (improvised solo flute)
    GIA spring choral music sampler
    Butterfly McQueen - What are the Chances? (local rock group)
    Kronos Quartet - Ghost Opera (Tan Dun)
    KSCA Live from the Music Hall vol. 1 (in-studio recordings of assorted AAA artists from the now-defunct KSCA)

I listen to whatever appeals to me at any moment.

-dh

6. !!!! How is Tan Dun's "Ghost Opera"?! I've meant to buy it for some time, but just never had the money at the right time.

7. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love it, my girlfriend hates it. It's rather inaccessible (nothing like, for example, the Crouching Tiger soundtrack). It shows up cheap in the used bins a lot (that's where I got my copy).

There's a new CD with Sharon Isbin playing a new guitar concerto by Tan Dun that I've added to my amazon.com wishlist. I really love Isbin's guitar playing and I think that this is likely to be quite a worthwhile acquisition...

-dh

8. Well, I already have the Crouching Tiger soundtrack, so if I wanted more of it, I'd just listen to it again. ;)

My basic assumption was that with the names Kronos Quartet and Tan Dun, whatever was on there had to be amazing. I was just curious as to whether or not that's a correct assumption.

9. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yah, it's pretty amazing. And, like most GOOD "out there" stuff, the more you listen to it, the more you understand it. There's some avant-jazz stuff that when I first listened to it, I remember thinking what the ^&*$%^ is this? Now some of it seems positively staid.

I just popper over to amazon really quick because I seem to remember reading a lot of reviews ripping on it when I first ordered the disc, but it seems the amazon reviewers all loved it.

I say go ahead and pick it up. amazon lists it used for $6.99 so if you decide that it really sucks you won't be out a whole lot of cash...

For some reason, noting that this discussion is coming under "Rock and/or Roll" a phone conversation with my dad recently on music and I said that I'd been buying stuff more and more out of the mainstream. "Well as long as it's not this contemporary classical stuff" he said. "Actually, that's exactly what I've been getting," I replied.

-dh