1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Kiss, Yes, Ronstadt earn long-awaited nominations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rtslinger, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Kiss, Yes, Ronstadt earn long-awaited nominations
    T

Attention, all music fans who have complained, sometimes loudly, about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s rejection of popular bands in favor of critics’ darlings such as Laura Nyro and Randy Newman:

You’ve been heard.

The 2014 nominees list is the hall’s most crowd-pleasing in recent memory. Included among the 16 candidates are several popular, influential but arguably unhip acts that have long been snubbed by the Cleveland institution: pop-prog space-travelers Yes, rock-soul hit-makers Hall and Oates, the bruising Deep Purple, defining ’70s singer Linda Ronstadt and the theatrical, polarizing Kiss.

These artists join early electric guitar innovator Link Wray, disco hedonists Chic, broad-minded Peter Gabriel, hip-hop popularizer LL Cool J, gangsta-rap revolutionaries N.W.A, the scruffy, earnest Replacements, peace train rider Cat Stevens, funk godfathers the Meters, pop impressionists the Zombies, stalwart traditionalists the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and alt-rock cornerstone Nirvana on a ballot that champions a narrower and more traditional definition of rock than the hall has recently endorsed via its selections. If history is any guide, five to eight new members will be inducted in April.

Nirvana, eligible for the first time, is almost certain to be one of those acts. "Nevermind," the Seattle trio’s 1991 album, introduced millions to grunge and alternative rock, and stands as a watershed in the evolution of American popular music. Nirvana’s unexpected success reoriented the entertainment industry: Almost overnight, the strutting glam-metal that had dominated playlists for the better part of the 1980s was out and brooding misfits were in. Frontman Kurt Cobain became the face of alternative rock and, in many ways, he remains so — frozen in time, at 27 years old, by his suicide.

N.W.A, another act with profound influence on American culture, is every bit as worthy of commemoration. The Southern California rap crew stood middle-class morality on its head on the violent, uproarious and frequently hilarious 1988 "Straight Outta Compton" disc. N.W.A tore up the old standards for what was permissible to do and say on record; "Straight Outta Compton" also launched the career of producer Dr. Dre, whose distinctive sound draws from ’70s funk and gospel. The Hall of Fame likes to induct a token rap act every year — one with an incontrovertible effect on the development of rock music — and this year, N.W.A looks like the obvious choice.

Beyond that, it’s anybody’s guess as to which of the nominees will get into the hall — but the list does allow the institution to fix a few of the inexplicable omissions of the past. There’s good evidence that growing disenchantment about selections has prompted the museum to take action: Last year, the hall instituted a fan vote, won by Rush, a worthy group that had long been overlooked by the selection committee. That precedent bodes well for Yes, another long-running progressive rock band with unimpeachable musicianship and a penchant for sci-fi concepts.

NO MORE KISS OFF

It also suggests that the bizarre Kiss freeze-out may come to an end. Of all the hall’s snubs, Kiss, which was formed in New York in 1973 and has been eligible for years, is the toughest to understand. In the 1970s and into the ’80s, the band epitomized rock attitude and showmanship. The Kiss live show, which went heavy on pyrotechnics, dry ice and fake blood, refined the paradigm (established by Alice Cooper) for countless arena touring bands. In concert, Kiss was gauche and grandstanding as a rule, but that was all part of the fun, and great rock is not always meant to be high art. Often lost in the smoke was the band’s knack for sturdy song construction: "Beth," "Detroit Rock City," "Black Diamond" and "Rock and Roll All Nite" remain indelible.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    They have to put in kiss, Yes and Deep Purple this time...geez!

3. Th RRHOF is a friggin' joke.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Here comes the PARADE of RRHOF sucks posts. I'm not even going to bother with popcorn. I'll just change the channel. This won't go well at all.

Sorry OP. Turn your negativity shield on.

5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    It's nice to see that some well deserving acts are being considered. Hopefully, more acts like The Moody Blues, The Guess Who, Jethro Tull, Chicago, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, King Crimson, Kansas, and some others will be nominated soon as well.

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    They're going to have to put these acts in, as well as the ones in the OP.

I mean, DEEP PURPLE???? How can there be no Deep Purple?

7. There's no Motorhead either

8. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls.

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I don't even understand why the RnRHOF holds any credibility anymore.

Nice to see some deserving acts finally nominated though.

But it's pretty bad when it actually becomes a big deal when they announce nominees who should be there anyway, as opposed to the norm.

9. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. A couple years ago the induction was carried on a channel that Time Warner didn't even offer in my area. That...wasn't good.

Also, the induction process was drawn up with this 25 year rule as if Rock music were a continuing concept. Rock is no longer mainstream. That is what saddens me more than anything. As an older gen x-er, I get the feeling this is being held together by boomers and wonder when these inductions are going to end.

10. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Should change the name from Rock n Roll Hall of Fame to Schlock n Roll Hall of Fame. About 75% of the artists are not even rock n roll.

11. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

It's an irrelevant institution. I wish it wasn't, but it is.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I thought Gene publicly **** talked the RRHoF and that is why they get snubbed. RRHoF is all politics anyways, music is a definite second there.

13. When Hip Hop artists like LL Cool J are being nominated for a ROCK & ROLL hall of fame...they definitely suck.

14. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    I know the RRHOF sucks and all, but, way to go, boys.

I suggest showing up drunk and raising a glass to Bob Stinson for an acceptance.

We ain't much to look at, so
    Close your eyes, here we go

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame was NEVER intended to JUST be rock bands. EVER.

The very FIRST inductees in 1986 included James Brown (not rock), Ray Charles (not rock), Sam Cooke (not rock), Fats Domino (not rock), Robert Johnson (not rock), and Little Richard (meh..... could go either way).

The SECOND class included The Coasters (not rock), Bo Diddly (not rock), Aretha Franklin (not rock), Marvin Gaye (not rock), BB King (not rock), Smokey Robinson (not rock), Muddy Waters, Hank Senior, and Jackie Wilson (not rock, not rock, and not rock).

So, in the ORIGINAL class of inductees (and second), there was not ONE SINGLE LONG HAIRED WHITE GUY! There were no guitar gods, no hard rock bands, no Stones, no Zep, not even The Beatles. So WHY are you guys STILL pissing and moaning that no every band or artist they put in there are what YOU consider to be ROCK N ROLL????? Good LORD will you give it a REST?

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is NOT JUST ABOUT ROCK BANDS! It NEVER WAS! It NEVER WILL BE. It never was SUPPOSED TO BE. That was NEVER the INTENT.

So, yes, as much as I dislike the guy's music, it IS ACCEPTABLE that LL Cool J was nominated.

Are we getting it yet?

16. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Little Richard and Fats Domino are rock and roll.

Many of the other artists are related to rock and roll, or in genres that greatly influenced rock and roll.

I mean, there's gotta be SOME kind of theme!

17. Milk

Milk

Sep 16, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    The list of snubs is ridiculously long. Here's a suggestion, induct more people every year. Add 3 or 4 artists. Otherwise you'll neverget through it.

My personal grievance is with The Cure who have now been snubbed for ten years (but were nominated once two years ago) Also, New Order/Joy Division. But hey if they can't even get around to having Kiss and Deep Purple who are seminal 70's band (i don't care for either but i can recognize that much) then i imagine it's gonna be a while before they get to the 80's.......

Here's some of the most noteworthy snubs, most of which have been eligible for ten years or more (a bunch fo which are nominated this year as the OP mentioned but who will get in among those?)

The B-52's, Bad Company, Barry White, Big Star, Black Flag, The Buzzcocks,
    Can, The Carpenters, The Cars, Cat Stevens, Cheap Trick, Chic, Chicago, Connie Francis
    The Cure, The Dead Kennedys, Deep Purple,Def Leppard, Depeche Mode, Devo, Dick Dale, Dire Straits, The Doobie Brothers, Duran Duran , Electric Light Orchestra, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Eric B. & Rakim, Gram Parsons, Harry Nilsson, Hüsker Dü, Iron Maiden, The Jam , Jethro Tull, Jim Croce, Journey, Joy Division, Judas Priest, Kate Bush, King Crimson, KISS, Kraftwerk, Linda Ronstadt, Link Wray, MC5, The Monkees.
    The Moody Blues, Motörhead, New Order, New York Dolls, Nick Drake, Peter Gabriel,
    Procol Harum, Roxy Music, The Specials, Steppenwolf , Steve Miller Band, T. Rex, Television, Thin Lizzy, War, XTC, Yes, The Zombies

MC5, 22 years eligible nominated once!?!? T.Rex, 20 years eligible, NEVER nominated? It boggles the mind. Oh yeah and Link Wray has been waiting for over 30 years... Well he's not anymore, he's been dead for some years. YOu'd think they'd have gotten around to it before he did.

18. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina

19. Yango

Yango

Apr 14, 2008
    Earth
    I know a lot of people really dig Kiss, but I have to admit, I never really got into their music and looked on them as kind of an elaborate joke, so I can see why they've been overlooked for so long—probably could have been longer without too much of a disturbance in the time space continuum.

I did like watching Gene's sitcom on TV though.