Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rock bands covering jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Coward Of Reali, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Coward Of Reali

Coward Of Reali

Oct 13, 2003
    Can anyone help me out, I'm making a mix cd of rock covers of jazz songs, so far I have SCI covering 'So What' and Phil Lesh doing Milestones and My Favorite things'
    Anyone know or have anything else?

Thanks

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Jeff Beck did a pretty cool cover of Goodbye, Porkpie Hat. It's on Wired.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Screaming Headless Torsos doing Miles' "Blue In Green" & "The Theme to Jack Johnson"...both on their debut album(+ their LIVE album).

BTW, "My Favorite Things" was a Pop tune covered by Coltrane...does that make it a Jazz tune?
    ;)

4. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Derek Trucks does some. Footprints, Bock to Bock

I think Phish does Manteca.

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Steely Dan recorded a version of the Duke Ellington tune, "East St. Louis Toodle-Oo." Also, there's a modern band from Japan, I believe, called Ruins-- they play manic, noisy, chops-infested progressive rock, and they recorded an incredibly insane Mahavishnu Orchestra medley that's worth checking out. You need to take an aspirin and lie down after listening to it.
    I've never been a big fan of Beck's "Goodbye Pork-Pie Hat"... he forgot to do a little thing called "playing over the changes."
    :eyebrow:

6. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Ha...I didn't think anyone else here listened to Ruins. Sick stuff...I love it.

7. Clutch have been covering a number of John Coltrane songs lately, including "Equinox." Vernon Reid has some scorching versions of Lee Morgan's "The Sidewinder" and Monk's "Brilliant Corners" on his CD "Known, Unknown."

8. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I love Jeff Beck's version of "Goodbye Pork-Pie Hat"!

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Govt. Mule have done a few, Afro-Blue springs to mind.

Dunno if I'd call Vernon Reid "rock covering jazz" as he played in many jazz bands for years before Living Color.

10. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Count me as another RUINS fan! They also do a very fun Black Sabbath Medley.

11. I believe Wishbone Ash's 'Vas Dis' is a cover of a jazz tune... Don't know who it's by tho. :crying:

12. I hear you, but these are really loud heavy guitar versions of the songs. :bassist:

13. I downloaded a recording of Phish playing Charlie Parkers "Donna Lee". They did a damn good job of it IMO. They're not exactly rock, but still a pretty cool cover.