Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rock bands that should throw in the towel

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by in repair16, Apr 25, 2003.

Should asinine polls be deleted?

This poll will close on Feb 7, 2106 at 12:28 AM.
  1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. Yes

18 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. in repair16

in repair16 Guest

Apr 24, 2003
    Whiting, Indiana
    Hey friends, This poll here is to show who thinks what band should just stop making music and retire. These are mainly old groups or just really bad new ones. Keep in mind that if the band you think should be done isn't on here, jut post it. Cheers

2. I don't see why any band at least from the listed, should give it up for their own sake.. But personally I would feel a bit pleased if bands like Aerosmith and Bon Jovi, just took a permanent vacation from the bussiness. (can't think of any other band but there are tons of rock bands, investing millions on their stuff, without doing anything for the music it self)

3. This poll should be done with multiple selection choices. :D

What's Led Zeppelin doing on that list by the way?

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah really!

Why is Zeppelin up there?

Alot of them shouldnt be up there, but Zeppelin?

They havent even done anything for a long time.

Peace
    Thor

5. Great White should have hung it up looooong before the whole night club fire.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Errrmm... like "The Doors" are very recent - how long has Jim Morrison been dead :eek: - this must be the most stoooopid poll yet!!

And that's saying something!! :D

7. I voted for The Transplants....yeah Travis and Tim are talented, but the singer/rapper guy is awful! Tim should just stick to Rancid and Travis to Blink 182.

8. Kiss. Can't stand them. If I could choose more than one I'd like to add AC/DC, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, The Doors, the Stones and Zeppelin. I love Zeppelin, but enough is enough guys.

But I wonder why Zwan, Pearl Jam, The Transplants and DMB are there. All are touring, all have recently published new albums (IMO good ones from Zwan and PJ, haven't the ones from the Transplants and DMB), what's the deal?

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Erm yeah, when will that Jim Morrison fella stop putting out stuff, eh? :confused:

Or am I just being really silly, and are the Doors still going without him?

10. Bruce Lindfield

"THE FIRST, LAST, AND ONLY

The Doors
    T O U R B O O K

Compiled from the last remaining copy, this presentation offers a page-by-page experience of the original Doors Tour Book produced in 1969. To be sold to fans for one dollar starting on March 1, 1969—the opening tour date in Miami, Florida, at the Dinner Key Auditorium—all remaining copies went into storage after the tour was canceled following the controversial Miami concert, to be destroyed after Jim Morrison's death. Presented for the many Doors fans who never had a chance to purchase one, the surviving copy shown here is from Danny Sugerman's personal collection, now part of the Doors Official Archives. "

So - their last tour was scheduled for 1969 and they cancelled it - so they haven;t toured for over 30 years!!

Wow - this poll is so relevant!! ;)

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bruce-
    Do you recall Other Voices? That was the Doors' album after L.A. Woman...no Morrison, just the 3 surviving members.
    I remember gettin' that sucker for Xmas years & years ago...& on 8-Track!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Well that was 1971 - so they haven't toured or released any new material in over 30 years !!

Damn, they should throw in the towel!! ;)

13. the Doors ARE touring again- with The Cult's Ian Astbury on vocals- billed as "the 21st Century Doors".
    the only original members are Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger.
    they're due to record an album too.

so there, Bruce.
    :p

14. Bruce Lindfield

Well that's not the same at all - you might as well say that any of the "Tribute" bands count - the poll doesn't say "21st Century...." - it's still a stoopid poll anyway!! ;)

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You haven't given any reason why any band should "throw in the towel". Why shouldn't a band tour for just as long as they want to, as long as they are able. I agree with Bruce about the stupidity of this poll.

16. Bruce Lindfield

I agree - a lot of bands split up before their fans are ready to see them go! So, the last few years has seen a lot of bands re-forming as they have had a lot of demand via the internet - so like Level 42.

I would love to see a Led Zeppelin reformation with JPJ, but I can appreciate how they might not want to do it. I am also really pleased that Steely Dan started up touring again after a long break and hope that next time I will get to actually see them, live! :)

17. I agree with Bruce and Turock, waste of band width. Maybe this poll is just some type of "troll bait". That or a by-product of some very bad research.

(BTW, I said Nugent ;) )

18. That's quite a good idea. Lure all the trolls into this thread, lock the door, swallow the key and let them post each other to death.:)

19. Bruce Lindfield

Sounds closer to me!! ;)

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah! I don't know if they're coming round our way or not, but if they are, I'm getting tickets...