Rock Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trist6075, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    I have been wanting to get better at palying rock bass because this is the direction I think I want to go in with bass. The only thing is I have been having a hard time comming up with good rock bass lines and figuring out rock bass lines by ear. I was wondering what some of the obvious traits to look for are. I have kind of been struggling with the whole ties thing which I think tends to show up a lot if Im looking at some kind of sheet music or something, both in playing and trying to desipher by ear. Recently when playing reggae I was perfectly able to lock in with the groove but when listening to rock it seems a bit harder to find it. I was just wondering if you guys could give me a few of the rock bassics.
  2. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    First a rock bass player has to have a heavy tone. Distortion is fine as well. Pluck hard play fast.
    don't listin or read to rock, FEEL IT!!!!!

Rock on
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    penatonic scale. Probably must used scale in rock and roll. Listen to My Generation by the Who and anything by Geezer Butler
  4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Also get used to box patterns. Like, say, Smells Like Teen Spirit - fret 1 on the E, then fret 1 on the A, then fret 3 or 4 (can't remember right now!) on the E, then same on the A. Frets used form a little rectangle. Rock does this a lot, along with the "back and forth along an L" shape, i.e. Livin' After Midnight.

Hope this helps =0)
  5. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    How do u incorporate ties and rests and that kind of stuff into your playing? Where do these usually go? Are there any strong beats you need to land on?

6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    John Paul Jones had a very good recomendation in his column in Bass Guitar magazine...use octaves to break up the monotony of just sitting on the root, locking the low not with the bass drum and the upper ocatave with the snare (a la The Wanton Song, Immiagrant Song, etc.). It seems almost self-explanitory, but if you're looking for ways to spark your creativity, that might help. Box patterns, as mentioned earlier, are also fun and easy ways to spice things up when you're first learning. Jimmy Page made a career (at least the first half of Zeppelin) out of these types of easy, catchy, and fun patterns and slight variations on them. See Whole Lotta Love, The Ocean, How Many More Time, Livin' Lovin' Maid, Bring It On Home, Dazed and Confused, etc. ;)
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    achilles last stand....