Rock basses Rock!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 1, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i was playing a new corvette and a streamer.
    they sounded and felt awsome for that price!!!
    $379 for the streamer. and $400 something for the corvette. and $500 for the flamed sunburst corvette. three piece flamed neck. mec pups.
    sounded unbelivable for a chinese bass!!!
    i am really considering buying a streamer. it was a nice red gloss stain. two humbuckers!
    WOW!! can't get over it!

2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    your gonna buy another bass!?!:eek: Have fun...:)
  3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ya. well maybe. i don't know! :rolleyes:

4. Makes me want to sell my Warwick and buy 4 Rock Basses... :D
  5. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think they definitely are one of the top basses in that price range. better than ibanez, MIM fenders, etc...

i'd go with the corvette tho, carolena isn't a real great body wood and neither are those pickups vs. the active MEC golds.
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have one. You won't be sorry. They do rock.
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - The last issue of "Bass Player" rated the Rockbass very highly, considering the price.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The problem with BP ratings is that no-one knows what the H they mean by those. The ratings are, according to them, considered by the price, so exactly how good bass is a $500 bass with 5 stars? Is it as good as $1000 bass with 3 stars?

I wish they would do the ratings as certain Finnish Hifi-mag does. They have ratings for sound etc, and separate 'bang for the buck' rating.
  9. yeah they are really good , but yamahas are comparable in quality to price ratio, IMO atleast, but I also think that they are better than ibanez, mim fenders, and squiers.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I know what you mean, Tsal. Plus;

- nothing ever seems to get less than a "3" for any criterion
    - the text comments and the numerical rating often don't seem like they're even referring to the same bass.

However, IME, something that gets very high numerical ratings for the 5 major criteria they've established has always been excellent compared to other gear in its price range. Like you, I find it confusing, if not hopeless, to use their ratings for two pieces of gear in two very different price ranges.

I think the useful info from their "Rockbass" review for the reader is that among basses that list around $650 US, the Rockbass is one helluva deal. It gets rated no lower than 4.5 out of a possible 5 for the five criteria they have established.

How it would stack up against a $1000 US bass is conjecture at best.
  11. RockBasses pale to regular MIG Warwicks, but I'd go for the sunburst 'vette here. It'd cost about the same as a MIM active J-bass, but it'd give you a bit of the Warwick experience. Sooner or later you'll go German though. You have been warned.
  12. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Those things, do indeed ROCK! I played one and was blown away! I was so suprised! Id own one.
  13. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I tried one out too, and thought it was quite decent bass in general, and pretty nifty considering it came from the country that has been known for building something like Rogues and those guitars they sell at Wal-Mart.

If the far east basses keep getting better on similar rate, fifteen years from now we'll all be drooling after custom bass build by "Han Xim Chong of Peking", and Mike Tobias will be making his budget line in the States :eek:
  14. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    I haven't had a chance to play any of the Rock Basses, but isn't the big ROCKBASS thing on the headstock a bit of a turn off for anyone?
  15. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    there a 6 string rockbass?
  16. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    Yea. The rockbass logo is somewhat of a turnoff to me that is... I think they have some rock bass 6er's...
  17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Here's an idea:

Put wheels on your Rock bass. that way, you'll be able to rock and roll .:)

Yes, I am torturing you.:p
  18. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    actually yeah, it is. it is the only thing making the bass look cheap. i'd sand/spray it off if i got one ;)