1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rock bassist showdown

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tupac, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Flea (RHCP)

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Dirk Lance (Early Incubus)

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Trevor Dunn (Mr. Bungle)

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Ryknow (Mudvayne)

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  5. Juan Alderete (Racer X, Mars Volta)

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Which of these do you like the best? I vote Flea. Every bassline he writes is just a classic. Juan Alderete is in close second for me, but they're all great. I didn't want to include Geddy or Les Claypool because they're not as comparable as these guys, and we all know who would win.

2. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    (x) Me

3. JesusMetalFunk

JesusMetalFunk

Aug 11, 2011
    Hmmm....guess your definition of rock is different than mine

uhhh.... none of these guys

4. NOT

NOT

Jul 15, 2011
    Well, when I think of a rock bassist, I don't think of any of those guys. Anyway, my vote's for Cliff Williams.

5. BKuettel

BKuettel

Apr 8, 2011
    Oneonta, NY
    Ryan martinie is one of the most creative, unique, and intelligent bassists in modern music today.

They are all great bassists however. Mark keplaski from Breaking Benjamin is pretty darn good too.

6. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    No John Paul Jones?
    charlie-brown-baseball-aaugh.
    :)

7. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Bleh... I know this would happen. Obviously JPJ and Cliff Williams can't be compared to these guys, too different. I guess "contemporary flashy shred bassists who play high energy rock/metal" was a little too long of a description. (Although I honestly don't think Cliff is in the same league as these guys or JPJ :ninja:) (Let the flaming begin)

8. Dirk Lance was one of the first bass players I listened to when I started playing, but for me it was splitting hairs between Flea and Ryknow AKA Ryan Martinie, but I give the (slight) edge to Martinie. Everyone and their dog knows Flea and how badass he is, RHCP is a more mainstream band that's been around for a very long time so he's got alot more notoriety than Martinie, but when I first heard Mudvayne's L. D. 50 album, especially the song 'Dig', I literally went nuts over Ryan's bass lines. I'm not even a fan of Mudvayne but I listen to them mainly for the bass but also for the drums.