Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rock bassist who don't play root

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jvasquez18, Feb 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    do you guys know any good rock bassists who don't rely on their guitarists to know what to play? i'm having trouble looking for some influence

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    John Paul Jones
    John Entwhistle
    Paul McCartney
    Jack Bruce
    Jack Cassidy
    David Brown(of early Santana)
    Peter Cetera
    Harvey Brooks
    etc

...all before your time, I assume. ;)

3. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Good list. I would add Allen Woody, Felix Pappilardi, Geezer Butler and Geddy Lee.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Me. :D

5. JaggedB

JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Come on guys, all these guys play root :p . What sets them apart is their ability to create lines - magic perhaps? or voodoo if you can't figure out what they are doing ;) - beyond the root.

These guys can just plain write bass lines. I can sit down and figure out the theory behind what they're doing, but wow, trying to come up with that stuff sometimes. It blows my mind how someone like McCartney can take something as simple as the A major scale and make somthing that sounds so cool. And don't even get me started on songwriting. That takes writing bass lines to the next level...

Jim

6. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ohhh, he meant players who don't stay on the root... :D Of course, I didn't think he meant they NEVER play the root... He could have phrased it a little better, but the meaning was clear.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    very good list, i would like to add Billy Shehan to that and Stu Hamm.

8. ok, first thing, whoever said that John Entwistle and John Paul Jones and all those that we previously mentioned all play root, you need to be pistol-whipped, b/c they don't, and read the first post, he said bassists that don't follow the guitarist, thank you very much. Now, on to the original purpose of this thread.

John Deacon
    P-Nut
    Flea
    Victor Bailey
    Dirk Lance
    The Earth, Wind and Fire Bassist
    Chi Cheng
    Nikki Sixx
    Tom Hamilton

Just to name a few.

9. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Nikki Sixx? On the same list with Victor Bailey? Hmm...interesting.

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I accuse everyone named thus far of playing the root, at least on occasion.

11. Chi Cheng? Isn't that the Deftones bassist? I thought he was a straight root player. Maybe I've missed something.

12. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    the muse bassist chris something, i dun really know but he does some cool lines but i'm not sure if its him or matt bellamy who writes them??

and dare i say it fieldy! you might not like how he plays but he does play notes and riffs and stuff and it is different to the guitars which is what he asked.:p

papa roach the bassist does sometimes follow jerry horton but not always and when he doesn't it turns out pretty cool

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My two non root influences:

Justin Chancellor- Tool
    Ryan Martinie- Mudvayne

Myabe a bit more than "rock"? Dunno.

14. Chris Wolthemstowe, MUSE. Someone knew who he was just not the last name. Yep, what a guy.

sim

15. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    woo! and i saw them live in manchester, aaammazing with a capital A more like Amazing :eek: :cool: :D :rolleyes:

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FWIW-
    I interpretted Vaz' question as wanting guys who don't merely play ROOT MOTION-
    (/GG-GG-GG-GG/CC-CC-CC-CC/GG-GG-GG-GG/GG-GG-GG-GG/
    / CC-CC-CC-CC/ CC-CC-CC-CC/GG-GG-GG-GG/ etc.

...now he did say ROCK.
    Victor Bailey?
    Verdine White(of EW&F)?

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ultimately, looking to be influenced by people and listening to them won't really make you creative like these guys...that'll have to come from you!

18. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    In the Motley Crue songs I'm familiar with, he pretty much always stays on the root/follows the guitar. Can you give some examples of songs where he doesn't? I'm not trying to be critical of your choice, but would truly like to know. I've always considered him to be a fairly mediocre bass player, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

19. bassguy187

bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    Chris Squire and Geddly Lee,
    the two best rock bassists of all time,
    usually never play root

20. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    playing roots is basic, all the rest is the magic. i'm pretty sure that you have had great names here, JPJ, Jack Bruce. Paul Mccartney, John Entwihstle, Geezer, Felix Pappalardi...personally i apprecite them a lot and i have learnt a lot from Felix Pappalardi, Paul Mccartney, JPJ, Jack Bruce, i have always thought that Mr. Entwhistle is an awesome bass player but he didn't influence me that much. i highly suggest you to take a listen to Andy Fraser of the band Free and the great Dennis Dunaway from the early Alice Cooper albums. they are really great players that can be a great inspiration. If you can consider a non rock player that can help you a lot in this, i highly recommend you Donald Duck Dunn of Booker T nd Blues Brother fame. he's the king. you have had a great call with Allen Woody too. Incredible talented rock bass player, sincerely missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.