Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rock-cake myth

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by retitled, Jan 19, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    im sure we all know the old rock myths/legends
    where groups of groupies always follow the rock star aorund and give them a piece of cake.... soo my question....

how many of you guys have been offered cake just because your in a band? or do the guitar players always get teh cake hehe

Mod edit: No profanity allowed.

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Man, I'm telling you, the girls that have come up to me after shows and "offered" things are girls that would NEVER look in my direction if I weren't on stage all night. I'm married, and I've told some of them and they were like, "so?" But I'm good, I never went for it. It's a shame, because before I was married, this never happened in my bands.

3. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    At our last show, there were these two chicks that kept flashing their (.)(.)'s at us. I think it was a game for them to see if they could distract us enough to screw up. ALMOST worked ! They disappeared by the time the show was over ( probably a good thing ).

4. It's no myth. The first time a girl ever walked up to me and slipped me her number was when I was loading up my gear after a rock show.

"I want you to have this."

I was thinking about this, that particular incident gave me a huge confidence boost, and I think the confidence and swagger I had as the guitarist in a regionally semi-successful indie rock band had a lot to do with how well things with the ladies worked out. I met my current girlfriend of the past 3 years as a result of a rock show. :smug:

5. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    hehe, iv got my first show coming up in march and my girlfriend is going to be there and i dont want any tension later on about how i was looking at the big boobed flashers too long hehe

and sorry for my profaine language earlier, next time ill use "rump" or :bumm" hehe, are those okay to use? :)

6. Use "cake." It gives "Tasty Cakes" a new and yummier meaning.

7. Well, my Wife initially thought of me as the "cute bassist with cool hair and cool boots". She approached me, BTW...

So yeah, it's no myth. ;)

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Happens all the time. I'm 36 and overweight, and I still get the occassional offers of cake and other light pastries.

Funny note: last weekend, I'm sick as a dog at the gig, flu, etc. and halfway through the first set girls are motioning for me to lean down to tell me its "so-and-so's" birthday and whatnot, and one girl grabs my head, sticks her tongue in my ear and goes to town, moaning and all. This was one hot chick, too. While this sort of thing happens from time to time, it was especially hilarious to me as I was sick as a dog, overweight, and my wife was standing 7 feet away . . . she was amused as well, but more probably because she knew how ill I was . . .

9. ive only been offered custard............... :(

10. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Eh, I wouldn't worry about it. Chances of it happening at your 1st show are slim. But let her nkow you're not interested in that, and that you can't help what other people do.

11. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Things I've noticed. I am in two bands, one is a rock trio(bass) and the other is Celtic(mandolin).

Rock: Damn right women approach you and yes some will tell you they want you after the show. Sadly, I am picky so I just sorta dodge the issue. :) Do guitarists get more of it? Well it depends I guess. I've noticed that women approach me and the guitar player 50/50 on the stage. The drummer is behind so he don't get approached on stage by the girls. Women who come up and make requests is where I am going. Where YOU take the conversation is anywhere. ;)

Celtic: Yes they do. They are usually older women but hey!

SideNotes:

You find it much easier to talk to women after you come off stage also. They know who you are so it isn't like the weirdo creep in the corner creep who stutters to say hello with no topic in mind to break the ice.

Also, this is a good habit. ALWAYS introduce any woman to the rest of the band. They do that for me.. More is merrier, right?

Many guys are in the gig scene just for pussy and next to no interest in moving forward. Thank GOODNESS the guitar player sees it the way I do.

My .02 worth(currency conversion = nothing on the Internet)

12. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    funny, over here i get offered pan dulce y leche

:D

13. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Damn, I wish I had some cake.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I got a cake on my birthday from my mom. Does that count?

I know. EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. I just thought I'd slip that one in ;).