Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rock Festivals

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Nov 16, 2005.

1. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Hey everybody!
    Does anyone have some experience in playing on rock festivals to share? How can a band participate? Do festival managers usually invite bands for a festival or there is kinda chance for any band to send promo and information and be invited. Usually on festival sites there is no information about this. Thanks for any information.

2. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Not really sure how to answer this, most festivals I've done were as a session dude so it was all arranged previously for me.

However I do know that say if your doing say a "biker" gig (which are great btw)..they'll generally have an events manager/officer who you need to get in touch with and send them a promo pack (or better again try and get them to come to one of your gigs.

The one thing to be aware of festival gigs is that a lot of the time (especially if your unknown or unsigned) is that they'll give you a slot relatively easily during "down" time..BUT you gotta pay for it (either a fee up front or else youll have to sell a LOT of tickets).

Most big festivals nowadays also have an unsigned artists stage where again you need to get in touch with the ents officer in the agency running the gig..again you need a promo pack..(eg MCD are the promoters for the HUGE Oxygen festival here in Ireland..do a little research on the web and get the relevant contact person (or ring em up and chance your arm..although at the end of the day "hard neck" or industry contacts is generally the way to go).

peace
    Murf

3. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Thanks Murf!
    This is exactly what we are looking for - organizations like MCD. We are now in a studio, working on an album. Right after the work is done, we will try to promote the CD and the band, but we don't have a good manager with all the connections and experience. I started to dig on the web and I found millions of rock festivals out there, but usually all the information on the web-sites is for visitors, not for bands. One of the chances is to send them an e-mail, and to ask an address where promo pack could be send. But I'm not sure if it is polite.

4. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    GO FOR IT!!!...dont worry about it being polite or not..you need a brass neck to get anywhere in this industry and the only way to get anything done is to ring/mail people and generate contacts.

best of luck

Murf

5. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Worst come to worst- they don't respond to your email. How bad could it be? If you want anything to happen with your band, you can't be afraid to try new things, or ask people things. Worst come to worst is they'll say no, and then you just brush it off, and ask the next man.