Rock Hall of Fame Inductions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Mar 21, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Anyone see the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame inductions??? Comments???

Some observations (just opinions);

- "Shaft" by Isaac Hayes and the band (mainly The Tonight Show Band) was great!!! His voice is still wonderful. I would have loved to have heard Will Lee's bass in person on that song.

- Is Tom Petty dead or is his skin bleaching out like Jacko??? Really liked his swipe about how the recording industry, (the majors), is killing new talent.

- Tina Weymouth's playing was terrific. Her lines are simple but to play them with sooooo much bounce and life really shows she can still deliver the goods after all these years. The synth work was pretty "out there" (in a good way!)

- I wonder how many people really knew what all the talk about CBGB's was about???

- Green Day should have been shot for butchering the Ramones. Trey Cool was "tres crap." He lost it a couple of times. Luckily, Dirnt is competent and held it together. Armstrong's tone on his cheapass vintage Gibson was wimpy and anemic compared to Johnny's roar. I almost thought it was Johnny Ramone doing an "Unplugged" gig.

2. Rickbass, I just stumbled upon it at the Brenda Lee tribute. I instantly knew it was Will Lee on bass when I saw him jumping up and down in his ususal whacko style. Jewel looked fantastic! She was always very pretty, but, it looks as though she been skipping dessert; what a babe!*

The all star jamm was a blast from the past. Hopefully I'll catch it again when they re-run it, then I can tape it.

Jewel ~ Jewel ~ Jewel ~ Jewel ~ Jewel ~ Jewel :)

Mike J.
    * If we got married, what would her name be? :D
  3. rickbass

The Brenda Lee segment was educational for me. "Little Miss Dynamite" was before my time and my older brother's, too. I didn't know she figured heavily in the early days of rock.

I don't know what to make of Jewel - coffee house folksinger moonlighting as an actress or vice-versa??? Yeah, she needs to Big Size her fries.

It was good to see/hear Will Lee cut loose more than he can on Letterman. It showed how really "playful" he can be when he gets some room to operate and embellish his lines. (Why does Paul Shaeffer always get in on these things??? His presence is like making love with your socks on :rolleyes: ).

I would have watched the show just for Will Lee and Weymouth. She is a groove machine!!!

The intro people were pretty funny - Jakob Dylan and Eddie Vedder with his Mohawk....

Next time, maybe we'll see some of those who were up for induction and didn't make it this time; e.g.;
    - Sex Pistols, (just a matter of time)
    - Patti Smith (I considered her a poet. Musically, I thought she always stunk up the place).
    - Lynyrd Skynyrd,
    - AC/DC,
    - Gram Parsons
    - Black Sabbath - how could they NOT get in at some point??? Unfortunately, Osbourne is all pissed off because this is the 5th time they were nominated and didn't make it. So, he has been demanding they be omitted from all future voting)
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I thought it was a great show!! What tone Lee has with those Sadowsky's!!
    I thought Green Day did a awesome job with the Ramones tunes!!
    Tom Petty was great, and of course Issac Hays what more can you say about him!
    How aboput the Talkin Heads playing together for the first time in ten years, Tina is truley one of the greats!!
    I got it on tape so my wife can watch it tonight.....
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I liked her playing too. But, what really struck me was that, in contrast to the sound, her technique was looked absolutely horrible! Anyone else see it that way?
  6. rickbass

Her techniques threw me, too, pilot, especially the Sting-like thumb and index finger thing.

But all I care about is what comes through the speakers. I think the same thing was said about Larry Graham years ago.

I had lessons years ago, but I learned not to let them hurt my playing :D :D
  7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    The left hand was pretty bad too, with the unused fingers flapping all the way out, and the thumb wrapped around the neck.

But it sounded good.

Makes me feel better about my own technique. Although that's probably a copout.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The way I understand it, it's not that they didn't make it, but that each time, Ozzy's had them pulled off the ballot, because he thought it was a buncha crap in the first place...?
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that's what i heard, too.

can't remember the source. maybe it was newsweek.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

11. Green Day can never never never ever ever! hope to come to the power and impact of the Ramones. It was such a sorry performance, I felt like crying. They should have gotten someone who knew what they were doing rather than 3rd rate wanna-bes.
    Screeching Weasel, the Queers would have torn things up, though they probably would have refused to come. They could have gotten Rancid, Henry Rollins, any number of people. Alas, they must put ratings first. sorry sorry sight.
    I liked the Heads though, and I can't believe Sabbath still hasn't made it in. Though I am surprised at the sort of peopl they allow be admitted, who votes on these things anyway?
  12. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    i didnt think green day did that bad, guys..
  13. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    me niether, especially considering the ramones suck...:puts on flame-retardent jacket and laughes evilly: MUAHAHAHAH!!!!!:D
  14. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    There is no smilie to indicate how that comment made me feel.
  15. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Were you watching the same show????
    Green day did a great job!
    Have you ever seen the Ramones live??
    Nuff Said!!
  16. rickbass

One of my old bands played a supporting bill at `78 Ramones show. That was one reason for my dis of G.D.

But what the hey??? If you like it, enjoy it!

Hope your wife dug the tape of Talking Heads. A writer in the latest Bass Player rates her funk equal to Bootsy's!
  17. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yep I never had the pleasure if sharing a bill with the Ramones But I did see them in 79 in Boston and the openning band was the Cars! Killer show!
    I saw them again in the early 80's and they kinda sucked! I seen them again in the mid 90's and they
    were alright.
    They could have got another band to do the HOF show but all in all I thought GD got the point across and did a great job!
    It was the 70's! that gave the Ramones the balls and conviction that is unmatchable by any standards of today.

My wife really dug Tina and the TalkingHeads, She thought Tom Petty still rocked after being together 30 years with the same band!! imagine that!!
    That's Loyalty!!
  18. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    hehe :D
  19. I only got to see the bit with Will Lee and I was VERY impressed. That guy can really kick a groove. I wish that it wasn't Paul Schaffer and the CBS Orchestra, but Will Lee and the CBS Orchestra.:D

The mere fact that he play Schism on-air....:D

Rock on