Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rock has stood up to rap this time

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TokaFly, Jul 16, 2001.

1. TokaFly

TokaFly

Jul 16, 2001
    A week ago my friends and I decided to enter the (summer) school BSU (for those of you that dont know... it stands for the "Black Student Union"). Being mostly asian, we thought it would be funny to bring out a real musical act that offered some live instruments. I dont know if you've heard Ozma's representation of the theme song from the video game "tetris", but we decided to whip that out, so i didnt have to sing (had a cold that week). I went up wearing my marcy playground shirt, drummer in a metallica shirt, guitarist 1 in ozma shirt, and guitarist 2 in a weezer shirt. So I credited ozma, and i start my first few notes in the song (the acoustics suck in the gym) and the whole crowd of 400 or so is booing like crazy. Except for the lead guitar having some wacked out settings on the ol' gibson, we had a flawless performance. We let the instruments settle themselves, and while the notes are fading everybody is silent, and I could have sworn we had just instigated a lynching(sp?). When it's perfectly quiet and I start to walk off stage the crown goes totally ape****. These biiig black guys are doing all kinds of high fives I didnt understand, and my physics teacher said we were amazing and gave me extra credit. The funniest part was, since it was an all african american panel of judges, they actually gave us first place and we made $100 (total). Does that make us professional?

So anyway without permission, after the show I decided to play a medaly of metallica we like to call "Fade the Bells"... figure it out.

geez it's late

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  3. TokaFly

TokaFly

Jul 16, 2001
    woooow

color me impressed

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    :D

i´ll check them out in phoenix hahaha :D

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Me and my wife were on our way to see them when our car got totaled by a drunk f*cker. we were both OK so we called a friend and thankfully still made it to the show. I forget if it mentions this on the website at all but they used to be from Northampton MA. I consider myself lucky to have seen them.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    yeah i downloaded some mp3... ah memories! :)

they say they are going to play this month on PHO... sadly i will arrive just 3 days after their last gig of the month...

btw: the bassist uses a squier with pickguard removed :D not my kind of tone but...

7. TokaFly

TokaFly

Jul 16, 2001
    squires are hard core!

it's true