1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rock is finished - it has nothing more to say!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Al Krow, May 24, 2019.

1. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    “Rock is like Latin, it’s a dying language, it's old, it’s finished, and it really has nothing more to say. The spirit of rock is passing to rap, grime and drill music..."

Bobby Gillespie, Primal Scream

The guy has a point, right?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Having nothing to say never stopped anyone anywhere from saying it anyway.

3. PianoOfDoom

PianoOfDoom

May 30, 2011
    NYC
    Rock died in the late 70s, unless you have a very broad definition of it.

mrcbass, Ikkir, jamro217 and 16 others like this.
  4. basst scho

basst scho

May 30, 2017
    Bavaria
    even 70s rock didn't die in the late seventies ;)

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    No. The fact that rock music isn't part of the .000001% of all music created that is played on radio stations dedicated to the most generic, uninspired, mind numbing, soul sucking, middle of the road pabulum and spoon fed to the masses doesn't mean it's dead. It means people have to get off their dead @$$ and look for it. :meh:

6. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Rock died in the late 50s, unless you have a very broad definition of it.

Maybe Bobby Gillespie should check out the Warped Tour, or attend a Tool concert, if he can get a ticket to a sold out venue.

7. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Not in my band.

Eric66, Cheez, Laurie Bass and 9 others like this.
  8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Prob not the correct forum....but anyway,

Grime and Drill Music? Seriously? What kind of bass gets used in Drill Music? An oil derrick? Air Hammer? Sounds like something the whole family will pay big money to hear.

Seriously, I had to look it up. Guess that makes me NOT hip. Whatever. Here’s the Wikipedia link:
    Drill music - Wikipedia

“The genre is a prominent feature of Chicago hip hop, and is defined by its dark, violent, nihilistic lyrical content and ominous trap-influenced beats.”

Just my $0.019: popular music is appropriate for expressing critical social commentary; but, at some point, the views can get so extreme that the medium becomes marginalized, in the sense that the larger population just won’t go there. And forms like that become relegated to being art music rather than popular music.

If you want to hear the current “state” of popular music, switch to your local iHeart radio. Don’t like it? Well, then write something better and make a splash. Love it or hate it, that’s where R&R has gone. Other stuff is that old saying about trees falling in empty forests.

I will say that A&R business types have unquestionably got the whole deal by the short hairs. To me, the biggest single change in popular perception is the path to market, so to speak. Non musicians experience music in completely different ways and no longer have to go to clubs to hear it. So, generally, they don’t. Which makes live music performance a VERY different thing. View it as you see it.

EOR

LBS-bass, MattZilla, Al Krow and 8 others like this.
  9. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Rock absolutely isn't dead. It is evolving however. Doing what it has always done: aggregating and incorporating everything around it. Rock has changed, but it's still alive.

10. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    I have no idea what drill music is either! But, then, I'm on the wrong side of 50... :laugh:

11. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Rap music is more negative and materialistic than people think!!!!

TonyP-, gebass6, Keger Jupit and 6 others like this.
  12. Geri O

Geri O Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    By the logic of that statement, all music is dead.

How smart does that really sound?

Eric66, mr zee, PsyDocHill and 9 others like this.
  13. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    It is, pretty much. Classical music is for less than 1% alive.
    Blues in the last rope for 50+.
    Classic jazz is nowhere.
    Prog Rock is definitive dead.
    The only thing in music, which is still somehow well and alive is Smooth Jazz. But, it's not pop enough for many people.

gebass6, EatS1stBassist and Nunovsky like this.
  14. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Is that a recent quote? For a member of Primal Scream to say rock is dead is pretty rich. They made their cabbage picking at the bones of late 60s Stones.

15. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    I thought drill music was "Poundcake" by Van Halen?

Eric66, Atshen, fat_nermil and 17 others like this.
  16. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    Yeah - in today's press in the UK. Fair point though!

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Why is this in the Basses forum?

Rock isn't dead it just smells funny.

Davbassdude, dkelley, Ellery and 13 others like this.
  18. Just because one doesn't like rock's current condition doesn't make it dead. That said, Radiohead and Sloan are probably the last 2 rock bands I was emotionally invested in.

19. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I think what’s really dead are threads about it being dead...

I kid. :). There are many threads about it, though.

Bobby Gillespie’s been running his mouth off lately, for reasons best known to himself. I quite like Primal Scream but was reminded of a running joke a while ago:

- How many members of Primal Scream does it take to change a light bulb?
    - None, they just get the producer to do it instead.

... anyone who’s followed their career might(?) get it!

20. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Just because some celebrity is bored doesn't mean the genre they are bored with is suddenly irrelevant. And sometimes even resurrecting, refreshing, reinterpreting is a welcome rejuvenation that offers new life and direction.
    Pete Townshend I believe recognized this, and, while resisting claims circa 1976-77 that he had been rendered irrelevant, was pretty reserved in his criticism of punk, which had plenty of criticism for 'old farts' like him. Pete knew what he was seeing, but then he's a truly great musician. Not to knock Gillespie, but perhaps the lesser artist has larger insecurity issues.