1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rock / Jazz Fusion trios?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RiseOfTheWooten, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I like it! That sounds a lot like Satriani, or Frank Gambale. If you like that style, which I personally do, you should check them out, as well as Steve Morse and the Dixie Dregs. Also, Aquarium Rescue Unit has some monstrous playing as well, though they have keyboards as well (not a bad thing at all, IMO).

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Check out Brett Garsed's work with Gary Willis in Uncle Moe's Space Ranch, pretty smokin'! The label Tone Center has a few different fusion trios with bassist like Wooten, Hamm, Willis etc.

3. Cool thanks guys, glad you dig it too. I hadn't really paid much attention to trios like these, didn't know there were many around. But ever since I started playing bass, I've been getting into a whole other areas of music. Most rock/fusion bands I've seen (eg. Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock's fusion stuff) consist of at least a quartet or more. Even so, Chick Corea's Electrik Band plays more jazz material (I think).
    But this demo by Brett Garsed is very simple yet nicely done rock/fusion in a trio setting. Would love to hear more of this stuff.

How would you describe the bass line Brett plays there? To me it is like a contemporary spin on a classic James Jamerson motown style.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cream?
    ;)

Other Rock/Jazz/Fusion trios w/ guitar-bass-drums?
    Wayne Krantz- Two Drink Minimum
    Andy Summers- The Last Dance Of Mr. X
    Alan Holdsworth- Road Games
    Kazumi Watanbe- Spice Of Life
    Steve Khan- Live in Koln, Germany 1994 BOOT
    Doug Munro -The Blue Lady

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I hear it more as 'Jaco-funk'(which has an embedded Jamerson influence)...especially if it was played 2x as fast.

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    There's Vital Tech Tones (Steve Smith, Scott Henderson, and Victor Wooten), and there's GHS (Gambale, Hamm, & Smith). There's also the stuff with Jonas Hellborg, Shawn Lane, and Jeff Snipe. Then there's lots of Allan Holdsworth stuff.

7. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    If you really want to push the envelope, see if you can track down Power Tools (Melvin Gibbs, bass; Bill Frisell, guitar; Ronald Shannon Jackson, drums). Whoo doggies. Jazz chops meets rock volume and intensity for sure on that one.

8. soulive is pretty good.. no bassist but that makes it easy to jam to :)

check out particle and sound tribe sector 9 too... theyre not trios but they play some sick fusion

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I really dig Attention Deficit and GHS, but my favourite fusion trio is Jonas Hellborg, Shawn lane and Jeff Sipe, they rock!

10. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Also there is a band called Altered that's pretty cool and Ohm(w/chris poland from megadeth) The bassist has some really cool fretless techniques/tones

11. Alright, there is a local band that toured all over the northeast playing more acid-jazzy stuff, but in a similar vein. They're called Cerulean City. bass/drums/guitar. Really kick-ass playing and composing. Defintely check them up.

CeruleanCity.com

12. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    Tony Williams Lifetime on the "Emergency!" album. Williams, John McLaughlin and Larry Young. Scary stuff.

13. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Oh, and what about Niacin? Billy Sheehan on bass and Dennis Chambers on drums. That rhythm section plus keyboards cooks pretty well.

14. Rush
    ELP -

15. Copycat

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Sorry for the Niacin reference. I tried to edit the post once I realized that you were specifically asking about guitar/bass/drums trios, but I'm not sure the edited version went through. Anyway, if you want to check out some raucous harmolodic jazz, which isn't exactly fusion but adds a serious dose of funk, James Blood Ulmer's release Black Rock features guitar, bass and drums. There just happen to be two drummers: Grant Calvin Weston and Cornell Rochester. So it isn't exactly a trio, but you don't often get a band made up of guitar, bass, drums AND drums.

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I was listening to Richie Kotzen's Inner Galatic Fusion Experience tonight with Gregg Bissonette and Jeff Berlin, great flat out power rock/ jazz fusion trio stuff!!:bassist:

17. Thanks everyone! I've never heard of some of the players/bands you mentioned so I think this is the start of another great musical journey (and the lessening of money in my wallet).

18. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Here's one more for ya...

Pat Martino "Joyous Lake" ;)