Rock/Metal Pre?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, May 18, 2002.

1. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been Working my Eden WT-300...and I dunno, I guess I'm looking for something slightly more modern sounding. The Non-defeatable compressor is, well, non defeatable, and the Tube warmth is always there (duh). After long sessions and hours spent with the head, I guess I'm looking for something a bit more modern sounding. It's a great head, don't get me wrong, but I guess I'm craving something a little cleaner, and with a better rock/metal tone. The WT-300 is sort of a terminally Jazz head...fine for practice, but live, and especially at loud volume, it seems to turn to mush. Well, ADGCF and GCGC might play a part in that, but even at lower volumes...

Recomendations? Preferably w/ and XLR out.
  2. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    ampeg SVP-PRO or SVP-BSP might do the trick. or a sansamp RBI.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Are you sure you're not a wee biased there? :p
  4. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Well, that is the problem with asking for recommendations.....people bought their gear because they like it the most (or the most of what they could afford:eek: ) so they are going to recommend it.......the nature of the this type of thread....
    ....oh yeah, my vote is for the Ampeg SVP-Pro.....eventhough it isn't what you asked for since it isn't very clear and modern sounding BUT it is what I bought, so therefore I think it is the best:p
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Right now I'm looking at (all would be coupled w/ a compressor)

Ampeg SVP-Pro, Possibly SVP-BSP
    SansAmp RBI

The Compressor would probably be the FMC RNC or the ART Levellar...

6. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

I just bought an SVP-Pro and I can get a pretty modern sound out of it, but if I had more funding I probably would have gotten a demeter.

I will say the svp is pretty versatile(sp?). I'm happy with it.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I heard the IOD samples you did... particularly w/ the the SWR Manual distortion...

Uh...I uh...I think I might be hooked...
  8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey I have an SVP-Pro, and i think if you want a clean/modern sound, than SWR is the way to go. I's say go with the grand-prix, but they don't make them anymore, so if you can't find one, give the IOD a shot.

Hey, goto and listen to a song or two of theirs. If that's the bass tone want, SWR is definately what you're looking for. Their bassist plays through an sm-900. If the bass in my signature is more what you want, then the SVP is a better idea. IMO the BSP is worthless...
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

I think the SWR IOD is for me! :D
    What's the best price on one of those, new?
    Heck, what's fair price used?

That Eden's Days might be numbered...
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just know Munji's gonna call me a heretic...
  11. K E R N I P - 7 7 7

I'll BET that if you try one, it'll suite your needs. I love mine.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    there's a scratch and dent one on MF for 520 i think...

bass gear the blue face ones normally go for a smidge under 400, silver faces a little more but there's absolutely no difference internally.

ebay they go a little less

i got mine new for $550.

i guess i did sound biased (get it, biased, tube amp...nevermind) but let me quantify that. in my mind the tones that you'd need in metal are a real clear, modern tone, and a distorted tone that you could use without losing the bass on. enter the IOD - the manual has a great description of how to set it up for a clean tone, then hit the footswitch and put a real twin el84 tube overdrive tone on top of it. it works great - but i never use it. the way i have mine set is with the blend at 50/50, run my bass into the passive side because there's an extra tube stage there, and turn the drive until right before it starts distorting. it has the fattest warmest tone - while at the same time being totally hi-fi and clear. it's really a very versatile pre even without such things as a built in compressor and semi-parametric EQ. i'd definitely put it on the level with kern and demeter - with a little extra twist.

good luck!
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    IMHO, it sounds like you just want more definition to your tone. might just be a headroom issue, if you're running at a loud volume, but things are starting to turn mushy. a good component system should address that.

as for Eden's, i think they're a great rock/metal pre. Jazz isnt really the first thing that comes to mind, but it definitely could. like Warwick said, try an SWR IOD. good tone, but you can dial in extra gain for that grind.

BUT, for something more slightly more versatile and tougher for the road, give a Sansamp RBI or PSA-1 a try. There arent any tubes, but the tones are sooo nice, you'd hardly tell the diff during a heated gig. Robert Deleo uses one on tour, and his rock bass tones are one of my favs.

Another fav player and sound is Pat Dalheimer of Live. he uses a Demeter VTBP-201s which is more a hifi, clear voiced thing and not a dirty monster like the SWR. yet it works incredibly well in his band's setting.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    btw, you can find Sansamp's for $325 used on ebay.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    LOL Biased!:rolleyes:...:D Anyways, all of the aboved mentioned pre-amps are great units. The Aguilar and Demeter are very clean and warm sounding units. If you are playing clean all of the time, these should definitely be on your list to check out. The SWR IOD is the Unit I am considering....It has the ability to sound super clean, and very warm at the same time.
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Those Sansamp RBI's look kinda tempting, but there aren't any places close that stock them...ergo no try. At least I can A/B the IOD and the Eden up at Bass Central..
  17. EBS Fafner? As used by the bassist in Entombed. Doesn't get more metal, or heavier, than that. Try one, but be quick. I've heard that they'll stop shipping those to the States, for some, strange, reason.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I believe they are also a bit on the $$$ side...