Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rock/Metal recommendations

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ADbassman, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Not exactly sure where this belongs, so I figured Miscellaneous would work. Sorry to any mods if I'm mistaken.

I recently quit my old band and am trying to get an idea for a sound for another one I want to form in november. I've got an idea of what I'm looking for, but I'd like to hear some other bands to maybe expand my horizons a bit. I like bands like Muse, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Radiohead, Interpol, Deftones, Chevelle, and things of that sort. I'm looking for a setup for the band like this:

Vocals
    Guitar
    Bass
    Drums
    Piano
    Wind player (Baritone Horn, Saxophone, whatever)

I was wondering if you all would be able to give me some music recommendations based off of what I've provided. I'd like to hear some new things and get ideas.

Thank y'all.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You should listen to King Crimson.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Frank Zappa has lots of great stuff that perfectly fit a lineup like yours. Maybe not so commercial, but great anyway.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Mr Bungle and Dog Fashion Disco both have/had very similar setups. If you have a taste for the weird you will probably love them.

Also check out these bands with at least some of the superfluous instruments (sax and keys).

The Mass - metal mixed with jazz
    Morphine - Jazz mixed with rock
    Faith No More - Rock and roll with bits of everything
    CTA-era Chicago - Rock band with a horn section. Do not confuse this band for the 9 lbs of crap in an 8 lb sack that the band later became.
    Traffic - One of the most talented bands from the 70's.
    Fishbone - Ska/metal/punk/funk band. Kickass is what I call it.

5. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    +1

King Crimson Fits the bill totally

6. +2 on King Crimson

7. I listened to King Crimson a bit, sounds kinda like pink floyd which I was never really into, but still pretty good. I'm usually not into older music.

Can't say that I liked frank zappa, but thanks anyway. Thanks to everybody for your input, I'll be sure to check those bands out.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd say that you haven't listened to either of these bands that much. Frank Zappa for one has something IMO for everyone. Even if you don't like all of his stuff, I'd bet if you looked you'd like some of their stuff.

Numero Dos: I have never heard a single King Crimson song that sounded like Floyd. And yes, they are an "older" band, but that was their older stuff. Their newest album (2003) is called "Power to Believe" and it's practically Techno Metal. I bet you listened to "Court of the Crimson King" which is actually a rare listen for me. Even in the 70s there stuff sounded like it came out today.

If you don't allow yourself to listen to older bands, no offense, but that's incredibly ignorant. In order to fully understand your favorite band, you have to listen to their influences, and in some cases of the bands you've listed there influences influences. And lets not forget you are disallowing yourself access to decades of rock you might actually enjoy if you "found it." Great old rock isn't found on classic rock stations. I thought I hated Led Zeppelin until I got away from the "best ofs" and listened to an album.

Tool has admitted to being a King Crimson rip off, just so you know.

9. Granted, I havn't listened to much of either, but nowadays its hard to just listen to a song without having to buy it. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction.

I think it was "In the court of King Crimson" that I listened to, so my experience has been a little limited. I'll have to listen to some of their newer stuff.

Free listening to some of Frank Zappa stuff is surprisingly hard to come by too. You'd think I'd be able to jump on his website and have a listen to one, maybe two songs, but no such luck. What I heard came off of some other site so I don't even know exactly what it is.

I'll try and dig deeper into their works tonight. Thanks.

10. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Frank Zappa IS hard to get into, but he is good. He's wacky like Mr. Bungle was. For King Crimson, I'd try 'Discipline' as a good introductory record.

There are a plethora of other bands out there. Personally, I stay away from radio bands. If you're looking for inspiration and not just into heavy music, you could try:

Dream Theater
    Porcupine Tree
    Flower Kings
    Pain of Salvation
    Transatlantic

These are some of my favorites, and although I cannot pull most of this stuff in the band, it gives me GREAT ideas.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Frank Zappa has a couple of compilations with "Cheep Thrills" in the title, titled so, because these CDs are damn Cheap... like 7 bucks, and you get a decent amount of music. But the Cheep series throws you in head first, you get a mix of "rock" Zappa and his more avante type work. If you get the album "Strictly Commerical" it's Zappa's twist on "pop rock" I suppose. If this is still too weird for you... maybe try again a few years down the road... you'll be surprised what you like when you "grow up."

My King Crimson recommedation's for you Judging by your album I personally would say Thrak or Power to Believe. Those two are fairly modern. Power to Believe is like a heavier Thrak, I listen to Thrak more because Power is often times too heavy for me... but you might like that. But then again, I'm very very very fond of the album "Red" that's pretty heavy and it came out in 76, way ahead of it's time.

Every once in a while, you should seek out a musical kick in the ass. I look at the list of bands you like and you like good music more or less (In my worthless opinion, approval in my eyes is actually probably a bad thing) but it's not... hard. They are fun to listen to, and it's pretty hard rockin' type stuff. A lot of the stuff I like to listen to scares me musically, it's a certain level of composition or in some cases playing I know I'll never reach, but when I figure something out, it's something so wonderful.

Have you seen the movie Mr. Holland's Opus? In there he talks about how he went to a record store as a kid, and the guy behind the counter tells him to buy a John Coletrane record. So he takes it home, drops the needle, and he hates it. He hates it, but he listens to it again, and then again... and eventually he can't stop listening to it. I didn't forcefully enter "complex listening" in that matter, I put more space between my listening styles, but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying simplistic rock music any more.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Stone Temple Pilots. :bassist:

13. Mr Bungle...

it will be either hit or miss

14. I love you! Let's have babies!

15. Upon further listening I have to say King Crimson isn't too bad. I agree that they were ahead of their time. Some songs are better than others, but still pretty good. Nice recommendation. Thank you.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It might not be love at first listen... but then again, you might never love it. But you gave it a shot... and I'm so proud of you. :crying:

17. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Haha.. That's not the first time I've gotten a reaction like that. It's similar to being a Metallica fan back in 1982. I'd run into someone with a Metallica shirt and say, "Dude! You love Metallica? Cool!"