Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rock music: 4x10" Vs. 2x12"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassrebel, Feb 12, 2006.

1. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I mostly play reggae, ska & rock, I currently have an Aguilar 4x10"

I was wondering, what are the pro's an con's in these two cabinets judging by the fact that I'll be playing those styles above mentioned?

Thx

Danny

2. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    bump

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    FME-
    I would say the 2X12.

I used to play through a 4X12 Fender Bassman 100(totally stock) & loved it.
    Have gone thru various 4X10 cabs(G-K, SWR, Eden)...now using a 2x10 + 1X12 Bergantino; IMO, the 1X12 makes up for the 'missing' 2x10s).
    All the above were/are 4 Ohms cabinets.

For rehearsals, I'm using a 1X15 Eden(8 Ohms). I am missing some of the pop & punch that I'm used to.

Also-
    If you're only going to use ONE(1) cab, I would say make sure it's 4 Ohms...buy if you're using two or toying with that idea, you may need to go with 8 Ohms.

4. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    there's allways a power amp that can go as low as 2ohms :p

5. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    well, I was thinking of the idea of a 2x12" because I recenlty traded my 4dr car, for a 2dr and I don't find where to put the 4x10" anymore hehe

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    When I had the 4x10 cabs, I was driving a 318i 2-door-
    Bass in the trunk, amp in the back seat, 4x10 cab BARELY in the front seat(couldn't really see out the passenger window), girlfriend sitting directly behind me...bitchin' the whole way to & fro'.

7. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    I prefer a 212 over a 410. To me, 10's are not as beefy sounding as 12's. Perfectly placed between 10' and 15's.

Also, much easier to move!

8. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY

lol, I have a 325i tho... 93'

9. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY

I really dig the sound of my 4x10"

what can I expect from a 2x12" sound wise? can it handle as good as a 4x10" (generally talking)?

10. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Most 4x10's, especially the Aggie, shouldn't have any problem getting good lows... 2x12's will be good for that, too, but won't be as loud as a 4x10. If you like your 4x10, no reason to change up a good thing without really playing a lot of other cabs first. Then, if you find one that you just can't stop thinking about, buy it no matter what sized speakers are in it...

11. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    the thing is that with my band I have roadies to carry my equipment, but I also play with various artists and I have to carry myself my equipment, and that aggie is a rock hehe

12. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    4x10, no question. It will sound louder because the four 10" cones have more surface area and you will be pushing more air. It will also have better midrange response which is crucial for rock music... tens make for better midrange drivers. That's not to say a 410 wont have goot bottom end also. If anything, it will probably have more than a 2x12. The 4x10 array acts like one giant speaker

13. PeppermanL2K

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Of course a 410 will be louder than a 212, but I guess what I'm referring to is my preference for the tonal qualities of the larger 12" speaker as opposed to the 10".

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My first Bergantino cab was a used HT212. I liked it so much that I bought a used HT310 that popped up. After alternating between them at gigs, I decided to keep the 310 over the 212. The 212 did have beefier lows, but the 310 was surprisingly deep itself (even with 5 string), and had more punch. I sure wish I could've kept both.

Later Jim Bergantino released the HT322, that has two tens and one twelve. Gig reports I've read is that this cab is the best of both worlds. It's definitely worth checking out.

15. PeppermanL2K

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Hmm, 2 tens and a twelve?? What about 2 tens and 2 twelves? Now, we're talking!! :bassist:

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's what I'm using...so far, so good.
    (Weight = 90+lbs)

17. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    what if!!

I use both :eek:

18. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I play reggae too and I use 4 12's. A Accugroove Whappo Jr. and a Schroeder 1212. It sounds amazing with my Aggie DB 750. I would say 12's all the way, but if you dig the 10s - buy the 12s 1st and then decide.
    Peace, Mike

19. bassrebel

bassrebel

Mar 7, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    for reggae 12's are great, but I also mix it with rock and that's why I preffer too the 10's

I already have de 10's let's see if I sell some things, I get to buy the 12's

20. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I recently bought an Avatar 1X15 Neo & an Avatar 2X10 Delta. I never realized how fantastic my Ampeg SVT-410HLF sounded until I got the Avatar stuff. Since I'm still in my 14 day return period time, I'm going to trade these Avatar cabs for an Avatar 2X12. They accidentally sent me a 1X12 instead of the 2X10 the first time, and I actually loved the sound of the 1X12 - it sounded better than the 1X15 & 2X10. The trouble with some stuff, like Avatar, is that you can't really try it until you buy it, but the cabs are very nice -I just don't personally like the 1X15 / 2X10 combination.

Skel

Skel