1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rock 'n' Roll bass for a non-rocker (who knows how to play the bass)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Esteban Garcia, Sep 9, 2019.

1. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    What is a rock beat vs what does the word rock generically mean. I’m with you about swing - to bring an eighth feel - not necessarily without breaks but the underlying count is 8ths. Then have a drummer swing against that and it won’t work. Jazz ride eighth count - great for walking bass but what a groove killer in rock.

Rock strictly speaking is a rhythmic style - and subdividing it into triplets is - a firing offense.

Esteban Garcia and 40Hz like this.
  2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Sorry dude... I’ve been playing punk and hardcore for over 30 years and there is nothing inherently magical about downstrokes besides the image and posturing.

NKBassman likes this.
  3. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I'm glad you said it, because I couldn't come up with the right words.

4. 7615

Nov 19, 2015
    In a nutshell - everyone in most circumstances should be subdividing in their heads the same way. If one person is subdividing 12 while everyone else subdivides 8 there will be rhythmic dissonance.

Esteban Garcia, J-Mags and LBS-bass like this.
  5. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    I'm not a member of the church of downstroke, but everyone's style is different because of the way they physically approach the instrument. Dee Dee played it like this:

6. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    You're definitely on the right track. Your fills don't necessarily have to be pentatonic. They obviously do sometimes, just as in any other genre you can deviate more or less. If you can sing it as a bassline and it sounds rocking, go for it.

Esteban Garcia likes this.
  7. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Ok.

I mean, yeah sure it sounds good and it looks cool, but it also looks cumbersome, impractical and exhausting.
    There's nothing there that couldn't be played sounding equally good with alternate picking. Maintaining that it must be played with all downstrokes is nothing but punk posturing.

8. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Yeah, as I said, I don't do all downstrokes myself. I just figured it wasn't worth it. I do em more on guitar because you can hear the difference more. But if I went to see a Ramones cover band and they weren't doing em, I'd be pissed. Quarter note on the one so you don't get too tired.

NKBassman likes this.
  9. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia living la vida loca Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    "What's the best pick stroke for punk" is the new "what's the best bass for metal"

LBS-bass and NKBassman like this.
  10. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Agreed re. guitar.
    The pay would have to be pretty damn good to ever find me in a Ramones cover band. :p

11. J-Mags

J-Mags

Jun 18, 2018
    Durham NC
    Agreed

NKBassman likes this.
  12. Paul New

Paul New Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2004
    deepest alabama
    Well, if you're sure you want to play this stuff, very soon this will be about you: