1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame Glaring Omissions??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aberdumbie, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    the passing of Keith Emerson brought this to mind as I saw a mention in his thread.

I was in my prime early 1970's when arena rock came into its own in a spectacular way.

I looked at the inductees in the Hall of Fame and some seam near comical in my mind. Won't elaborate to avoid stepping on toes.

Is it an intentional slap that the rock Gods of the 70's haven't been considered? Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Grand Funk Railroad, ELP only to name a few. Could it be because those names don't carry the impact with a current younger musically oriented generation or just a glaring oversight? These guys were all hugely impactful in their day.

2. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Thankfully, Deep Purple is finally being inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame this year. It is way overdue. There are many glaring omissions as you mentioned who should have been inducted long ago.

A few more off the top of my head to add to your list are:

Yes
    The Moody Blues
    The Guess Who
    Three Dog Night
    Jethro Tull
    King Crimson
    Electric Light Orchestra
    Judas Priest
    Tommy James & The Shondells
    Paul Revere & The Raiders
    The Doobie Brothers
    The Cars
    Dire Straits

D M C, s0c9, tbz and 2 others like this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Instead of replying with the same thing I keep saying in the three hundred other threads on this topic, I shall for once join the do-a-search mafia.

GregC, lfmn16, tbz and 1 other person like this.
  4. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Oops.. Sooo sorry.. I know better and will retreat to my room and write 500 times... I will check the TBsearch feature prior to posting.... Accept my apologies please.

wmhill and tbz like this.
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Accepted. ;)

6. Sgt. Rock

Sgt. Rock

Apr 10, 2010
    It's been a joke since its founding. No surprise. How long was Rush sidelined? Exactly.

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    When Thin Lizzy is inducted I'll consider acknowledging the HOF's presence.

8. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Good point.

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I find the idea of a Roc N Roll Hall of Fame to be very un-Rock N Roll--are they telling us who to like? Or who is good?

Not rock n roll at all.

I have my own personal list in my head of who my favorites are--that's all that matters.
    Well and the ones in your heads too.

10. Then I guess you and I will never acknowledge the HOF's existence. Lizzy doesn't stand a chance. They were never critic favorites, on this side of the Atlantic and had limited appearances on the charts, again, here in the States. I'm never sure of what the HOF's criteria is but I'm pretty sure Lizzy won't even get a sniff.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Maybe it's better that way.

In the meantime, here's some Lizzy with a very tasty bassline:

Gluvhand and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  12. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    Pretty sure most of the people left out of the hall of fame are the same people that didn't get along well with the OG writers and editors of Rolling Stone. Iirc those folks heavily gate entry based on their own preferences, whilst occasionally throwing folks a bone, a la Kiss or Rush.

So. Politics. Basically.

mindwell and carsbybigd like this.
  13. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Pretty sure I'll never see the MC5 in there.

Why is it when they do one of their Women of Rock things they never even mention Fanny? They have a bunch of nobodies and almost somebodies along with a few who actually played rock.

Michedelic likes this.
  14. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is both an oxymoron and an anachronism. (Sorry Cleveland) Aside from having a collection of artifacts that can be found on the walls of any greasy spoon with the unfortunate moniker, Hard Rock Cafe; there's nothing special there. It's long been understood that if the ultimate arbiter of music taste, Jann Wenner from Rolling Stone magazine and his equally pretentious hipster kid (whose name I refuse to remember) doesn't like you, your band won't get in. Over the past half century Rolling Stone, has totally missed the boat on many cool bands, while promoting populist crap. Assuming the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, we can expect more of the same for the foreseeable future. Thank god print media is dying. Where's Lester Bangs when you need him?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  15. Okstatefan

Okstatefan

Jul 26, 2015
    While attending university at Oklahoma State, I got a summer job at a printing plant. They produced Rolling Stone magazine. I thought it would be cool to get to read a publication, that I never paid much attention to, for free. I never made it through the first issue I picked up. I just kept stacking the bundles on the pallets and never worried about what was printed inside again.

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I think Alex Lifeson said it best at his R&RHOF acceptance speech when he said "blah blah blah, blah blah blah bla blah..." for 3 or 4 minutes straight.

zontar, Esoge, Sgt. Rock and 2 others like this.
  17. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    The HOF is a joke. The induction process is strictly political and really has nothing to do with which artists actually belong there. Too many artists who shouldn't be in and many others who should be and are not. Many of the inductees had nothing to do with rock. Fortunately, several of the hall's officers have been fired so maybe more artists who actually deserved to be inducted will be.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I think in the end everybody who had a few successful records is going to end up in there. It ceased to be a measure of an artist's influence long ago.

mindwell and Kmonk like this.
  19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's not political. It's $$$-tical. Whatever they think will get people to buy tickets.

20. I will certainly agree that the HOF portion of the RRHOF has much room for debate.

However, the museum itself is pretty cool.