Rock & "Roll". Your opinion.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fisk, Mar 1, 2001.

1. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    OK, here's the dumb question of the day.

Do you have your amps setting on casters while on stage, or do you remove them after you roll it in the venue your playing?

I'm buying a Carvin cyclops next week and the carvin website has casters for $23, which i can certainly buy if need be. But, I just looked at loews last night at generic casters for about $2 a piece, or the kind that have a little lock that will keep them from rolling for about $3.

My questions. Is there anything wrong with having wheels on your amp while your playing, or do you take them off? And also, if i bought casters at a hardware store, is there anything wrong with attaching them with four little wood screws. Certainly it would not interfere with any electronics on the bottom of the cab, especially if i used very short screws. Then I could just lock them in place after I position it.

What do you do? Any opinions?

2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    You can certainly add your own casters to the bottom. I ordered my Carvin stack last year (RC210 combo + 1x18" extension cab.) without Carvin's casters. Why? They looked really flimsy in the picture, and I doubted they would hold up. When I received the 1x18", I bought some larger, heavy-duty swivel casters from a hardware store, removed the "receptacles" Carvin had installed at the bottom, and bolted mine on. They work great, and are permanently attached. I don't think they affect the sound much.

Make sure you mount them far enough out so you don't run into stability (tipping) problems. Also - if they are mounted fairly close to the outside, the cabinet structure is stronger there, so the weight of the cabinet will get transferred with less chance of damage.

- Mike
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    When a cab is sitting directly on the stage a lot of the lows get transferred to the stage. This can help reinforce the lows, but it can also get very muddy. IMO you are probably better off leaving the casters on when you play so that you have more control over your sound.
  4. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    thanks Mikey, that was another reason I was considering an alternative. The picture of the casters didnt look all that great. I'm sure I could get better quality from a hardware store and put them on myself. I was just wondering if it would affect anything on stage.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

fisk- Carvin threw in the casters free for me. However I was spending a little over $2k so that gave me some leverage. Plus, Carvin customer service people range from "bend over backwards" to "couldn't be bothered."

Some of the stages I play are wooden and I like to take the casters off and let the 15"/18", (depending on which amp I'm using), come through the soles of my shoes. Just a personal preference. I don't know that it does anything to enhance the sound. Just gets me amped.
  6. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks rick. LOL, i'm hoping I never have to call them, but it never works out that way for me.....

I cannot wait for my new amp to get here. How long does it take usually? Keep in mind I havent ordered it yet, i'll get the money next week. I'm already camped at the mailbox now waiting for the check. After that, I suppose i'll be sitting by the window waiting for a truck to pull up.

Friggin' worse than Christmas.

7. rickbass

How long it takes is going to depend a lot on where you live in relation to San Diego and which trucking line they use to get it to you.

When you order it, take note of the name of the person who is taking your order. Ask them to give you a time frame for when it will arrive and ask them if you can call or e-mail them later to see if it has left their dock and if they can tell you which trucking line is being used. Since they're mail order, except for S. Cal., they're used to people bugging them. From my experience with 2 shipments and those I've read at their discussion board, Carvin is very prompt.

But from the point it leaves their factory, it's up to the trucking company. I live in the midwestern US and they used an outfit named Land/Air Express. Once the shipment arrived at their local facility, they called to arrange a time frame when someone would be home to accept the delivery.

I've dealt with a guy named Jeff who takes orders and he is customer-oriented. By e-mail, you can keep hammering away until you get a reply from a guy named Marco Arias. He is excellent and knows the score, unlike some of the stooges you deal with online.
  8. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I guess that would be helpful info. I live in Indianapolis.

I'm glad they call to arrange a time to deliver. I was worried about that. My wife and I both work normal people daytime hours and are gone most weekends. But I work about a mile from home, and I can easily leave work to go home if they call.

Oh well, just wondering. I've lived 35 years without it, I can go two more weeks.

Thanks for the reply.

9. rickbass

Well, the reason I mention the specific trucking line they used for me is that is the way that particular trucking line operates. Now if they use "2 Guys and a Truck" or some bogus line to ship yours, that line may not operate that way. Hell, they might leave it in your bushes for all I know. From what I've seen at the Carvin board, they use various shippers. I don't know how they determine which handles your particular shipment.

I'd just stay on top of it if I was in your shoes. Carvin lives and dies by the shipping lines, so I encourage you to make them work for your business. I know how getting a new, major piece of gear is. I feel like I'm 6 years old on Christmas Eve.
  10. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I dont use casters on mine at all. It makes lugging it around a major pain in the tail. When I recieved my Carvin Cab, it came via ups 2 day air service. The customer service rep I spoke with noticed i was unhappy with how long it was taking for the check to process and tossed me a bone and sent it ups 2 day air for for the price of ground shipping.

Also there is a rough handeling sticker that most all shipping companies have, i cant quite explain it, but if the product was handled roughly something on the sticker breaks and turns red. You can request that this be put on when they ship it and then you will know if your package has been mistreated.