Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Rock School" on T.V.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Chad Michael, Jan 19, 2003.

1. My brother and I used to watch this series on the local public tv station. If memory serves, it was around 1985.

The intro to each show was done by Herbie Hancock. He would announce what style of music would be reviewed for each show, and which known guest musicians would be featured.

The cast was three members: a lady with short, dark hair was the show's guitarist (I think her name was Dierdre), they also had a bassist and drummer.

Each show, they would cover a certain style of music and break down each element (guitar, bass, drums) showing how the basic ‘feel’ and playing structure applies to the particular style. For example, one episode was Reggae music. The show musicians would each analyze how to make their instrumental part sound ‘reggae’ (with chord charts on-screen for guitar and bass). They would also feature guest musician interviews for the various styles and instruments.

The “Rock School” series covered country, rock, metal, funk, reggae, blues, etc.

Wondered if anyone remembers seeing the show, or knows anything about it….

2. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Yeah I remember that show. I videotaped several of them, but unfortunately those have been misplaced.

I watched it every chance I got. Nothing like free music lessons.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There was also a "Rock School" in Britain - a TV show like you describe. It was set at a pretty low level and so I didn't find I learned anything from it.

The only thing I rember was that the guitar tutor was Deirdre Cartwright who now leads her own (all-woman) Jazz band which plays around the UK, although mostly in London.

4. Slam and Bruce - yep, that's the show. I forgot to mention the cast had British accents.

Back in '85, my brother and I were just getting into the music scene and thought the show was fabulous.

Especially loved the guest musicians & bassists like Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham, etc.

Wish I could see the series again.

b

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    At first I thought you were talking about "School house Rock" but this sounds way better. I wish I would have caught that!

6. Better than school house? you're nuts!
    :D
    Gotta dig that conjunction junction!

7. Jeff Doe

Jeff Doe Guest

Jan 11, 2003
    Arizona
    I remember the show. The drummers name was Geoff something or other and the Bassist was named Henry. I saw him later in video's for Big Country and Pete Townsend . I loved that show. I remember seeing Gary Moore, Ian Paice, Sly and Robbie, Bootsy, and many other musicians of the time. Herbie Hancock basically just introduced the british show (made by the BBC). I also saw the show on video as part of a music class in highschool. I'd love to find this on video somewhere. If anyone knows. please post. Everyone I have asked about this show has no idea it even existed. Thanks for the memories!

Jeff Doe

8. I'd like a copy as well!!!

9. Mrs Cartwright (sp?) also wrote pieces for the rockschool guitar/bass/drums and keyboard exams, the songs are crap, the exercises aren't. Stuff like BloodSugarCountHigh and Metal Mania

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Ahhh, pre-MTV television....

Remember that one where Gary Moore is demonstrating his use of the octaver pedal and he makes this funny face while doing so? Kind of a scrunched-up, stroke victim kinda look?

My guitarist copied this expression and uses it regularly in rehearsals to this day, especially when we're playing a Gary Moore cover. We laugh our asses off every time.

I loved that show. Kids today have no idea...

DD

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This is funny...I was talking about this show at band practice just last week, after watching some live Gary Moore footage.

The most memorable episode of "Rock School" that I remember was seeing Gary Moore, Cozy Powell and a bass player who I think was Bob Daisley doing a tune in what was obviously a very small room, at crushing volume. You could almost see the building shaking...it was F&$KING BRILLIANT!

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Found it!

[​IMG]