1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rock Songs w/ Double Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Journey55, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Hello, I was looking for some rock songs (or and non-jazz/orchestra) tunes that feature a double bass (either electric or acoustic). Like in Unintended by Muse, it's the only one I can think of but I'm sure there's more.

(P.S. this might be in the wrong forum, sorry, mods are welcome to move it)

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    The best one in history is "Walk on the Wild Side," by Lou Reed. It actually features and electric AND a double bass.

Now THAT'S double bass!

3. Russell Bergum

Russell Bergum Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Rochester, MN
    Anything by the Stray Cats.

4. the living end. if the tone wasnt a dead give-away, you'd think a guy running around a bass like that would be electric.

5. +1, The Living End bassist is great at playing 'rock' dbl bass!
    Gets great tone, huge volume onstage & out front AND gets around the neck like crazy.
    Check out songs- 2nd Solution & White Noise as eg's

6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    anything by Soul Coughing

7. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    Check out the Reverend Horton Heat and as mentioned by Russell Bergum, the Stray Cats/Brian Setzer.

8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I believe some early Fabulous Thunderbirds stuff does. When I saw them live in the late 80s, the bass player played both a double bass and an electric bass.

9. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    IIRC, most all of Elvis' and Buddy Holly's stuff was done with a DB. Johnny Cash's guy used one for a long time as well. Kinda going way back, but it's technically rock.

10. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings and Phil Jones Bass Amplification
    On some of the really early Motown stuff Jamerson used a double bass. I can't remember exactly which tracks but James Jamerson, Jr. discusses it in the movie, Standing in the Shadows of Motown.