"Rock Steady" High Register Licks

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Chuck Rainey must have overdubbed the high register licks?

Oldschool94 likes this.
  2. DuShauh

DuShauh

Aug 29, 2011
    West Michigan
    Hmmm...I'm not so sure about that Dr., I play it pretty much as recorded. If I can nail it, I KNOW Chuck Rainey could manage it without an overdub. Either way, It's a funky tune, super funky bass line !!

getrhythm and Liam Wald like this.
  3. I dunno...this one has always perplexed me. Every time I think I have it down after listening, I attempt it while listening and I throw my hands up and just start playing the stupid three notes after every measure. Drives me nuts, but I'm sure we'll find out at
    some point there was a super secret bass trick we didn't know about...kinda like that F# Octave thing on Billy Jean. Enough to make your mind explode.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You should post a video. I have yet to see anyone nail it on YouTube.

noeinstein, aaronious and petrus61 like this.
  5. I'd very much like to hear how you do it.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    I don't think so. Time stamps where you think he does?

7. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & MD
    Try it at this tempo:

8. HandsFree

HandsFree

Dec 23, 2015
    Is this the 3 notes at 42.5 sec (and similar)?
    Techically that's possible. It's a high F -F#-G where tyhe G is simultaneous with the low A. That's possible to do, playing an open A with your thumb.
    But that would sound different than the rest of the low A's and on the recording I don't hear any difference, so I don't think it was played that way.

Are we even sure it's not a guitar?

Oldschool94 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    I'm agreeing with you on this one. I don't hear a low A being simultaneously played with the F-F#-G lick and even if I did, you could omit the low A, and it would still sound funky as all hell. As far as it being a guitar, I highly doubt it, but who knows.

They should've kept transcriptions. Didn't these producers understand they were making music that would be studied and scrutinized 45 years in the future? :rage:

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Even with headphones, I could barely hear the bass. Off topic: the lead singer and back up singers would all have their butts out these days. Those long gowns were cool.

DuShauh and nolaguy like this.
  11. Oldschool94

Oldschool94

Jan 9, 2015
    I always assumed it was overdubbed or the guitar.

12. tsheldon

tsheldon

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    Sounds playable to me (same track). Especially for a badass bassist like Mr. Rainey.

13. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Yes, it's a single playable track. It made me get much much better at position changes because I was replacing a guy, and the band was already doing the tune.

salcott likes this.
  14. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    No overdubs. It's called being a master of your instrument.

15. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That's not super hard. It's all built around open A with your thumb. With all fingers it is awkward string crossing. Practice just playing the As and the fills. Skip the low G and C. Once you are dialed on that you just have to jump down to hit the groove notes around the A, all the low notes as thumb plucks.

Basically the same trick as slapping in the key of E. You can wander around and hit notes but that E is there whenever you need to thump it.

I do hear the guitars doing a similar run here and there but the bass is clearly doing it with that fat round tone. A little call and response happening.

steelbed45 likes this.
  16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    90% of the time in the part is the low notes, so why stay up high? ;) I learned the groove first, then the accents, fingerstyle. The right hand wasn't the challenge. You can still play the part w/o the accents.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I guess I've just been put in my place for asking question.

bolophonic and Oldschool94 like this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

The sound is not good, but this guy seems to have it under control.

salcott and BaileyMan like this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks, I tend not to use my thumb that way, and other than E, I tend not to play open notes.

20. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I agree. It's a fast position shift for the fill but easily doable with a little practice. Particularly since you can bounce it off the open A.

And like others have said, if I can play it I know Chuck could do it in his sleep.

getrhythm and salcott like this.