1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rockabilly basses UK

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by Jet69ad, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jet69ad

Jet69ad

Nov 30, 2017
    Hi, I'm a bit of a beginner converting from electric bass, looking online at basses available in the UK, has anyone heard of Duke basses as I found them online at Thomman but no reviews or info about them, so don't know if they are good, any other brands good? it's my only chance to have the £££s to get a decent bass need to shop online but had a Chinese one a few years ago I, I got on really well with it until it rapidly fell apart! Cheers for any constructive advice peeps!

2. I have a Duke, and it’s a fantastic bass.

I bought it about 3 years ago, like you I was a convert from electric bass and fancied giving the double bass a go. I bought the Duke based on many positive reviews I’d read online, and am very pleased with my decision.

It has a lovely warm and full sound to it, but also has great definition to the notes. I use Innovation Silver Slaps on it, which are very nice to play and sound fantastic on the Duke. Great for rockabilly stuff, but also works really well for other styles as well.

I bought my Duke from Bassico, who then put me in touch with Thomas at Duke so that we could discuss the build specs for my bass. Excellent service and communication throughout.

I hope that helps, let me know if you would like any more information at all.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  3. Jet69ad

Jet69ad

Nov 30, 2017
    Hi Hobbes, I notice bassico are a German company, do they have someone who speaks English and where are Dukes made? many thanks!

4. Yes, all my communication with Bassico was in English (as it was with Thomas). Dukes are built in Germany.

5. Jet69ad

Jet69ad

Nov 30, 2017
    Thanks Hobbes!

6. Jet69ad

Jet69ad

Nov 30, 2017
    I've ordered one Hobbes, any Idea how long it takes before you get it? real exited now, ordered a blonde special!

7. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    Can't seem to find the website. Thomman works but I can't find any on it

8. Good work, the blonde specials are gorgeous! Did you go for gamba or violin shape?

Once I made my order it took about 2 and a half months to be built and delivered. Thomas and bassico were great at providing updates throughout.

Welcome to the Duke club :thumbsup:

9. Duke Kontrabässe

10. Jet69ad

Jet69ad

Nov 30, 2017
    Cheers for the info Hobbes! I went for Gamba style, Bassico have been really helpful, great English too!

11. Jet69ad

Jet69ad

Nov 30, 2017
  12. DukeCC

DukeCC

Nov 4, 2016
    Indiana
    Those are some cool basses. Love the custom f-hole work! I need the trucker mud flap one!! And maybe a 32 Ford hot rod for the scroll? Cool!
    Or maybe do one with a western/rattlesnake theme? That would be cool for the band I'm in now!
    How many €€€ is the question!!

13. How is the build progressing Jet69ad, any updates from Bassico or Thomas at Duke?