Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rockabilly on an EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by grooveguru, Sep 21, 2005.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Has anyone out there tried play Rockabilly (Slap Style) on an EUB? I was curious if it's feasible and how'd it sound. If you have let me know what type of bass you used? I have a Kydd Carry-On.

2. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    the Kydd probably wouldn't be a good choice. I use an Eminence with gut strings on G and D, steel on E and A. It sounds good for everything from rockabilly to jazz standards.

You should check out Mark Rubin's site as his playing is what swung me in the direction of that setup. He uses an Eminence with Velvet strings. The Kydd basses I've tried all seem to be closer to a fretless electric bass than to an upright. There's way too much sustain and it physically doesn't feel even close to an upright. You'd probably be better served by another instrument if you can swing it. If not, jack up the action and change the strings to get a more gut like feel.

3. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I play a 34" scale custom made EUB. To get more of a "double bass" sound when I play with the little big band (40s-50s swing, jump, R&B), I strung it with Rotosound black nylon strings and raised the action a bit.

Mikael