Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rockabilly - required listening ?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by =^..^=, Mar 15, 2003.

1. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I'm starting to get my slap style down and I would appreciate some recommendations for CDs to listen too if it would not be too much trouble.

I've got some Lee Rocker / Big Blue / Stray Cats and that is the type of music (beat/feel) which appeals to me so cds in a similar vain would be great.

Thanks for your time.

2. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
  3. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Thanks for the link - just checking it out now. Not to worried about the tone (as I've got a EUB you probably won't like mine) I'm looking for examples of alternative rhythms, interesting fills, different types of music etc etc.

Keep 'em coming guys - I'll listen to anything with a beat !

4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Reverend Horton Heat - I don't know much about this stuff, perhaps they are considered "psychobilly" or something. Good slappin' nonetheless.

5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Let's see...

Elvis. Jerry Lee Lewis. Eddie Cochrane, Gene Vincent. Carl Perkins.

You can hear that slapping sound all over that music. I'm not sure if I've ever heard of any slap virtuosos -- just keep listening to the classics and keep soaking up the vibe.

6. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well of course get some Willie Dixon. It aint Rockabilly, but he's slappin allright.

7. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
    Right, Big Three Trio! Willie Dixon was an influence to many Rockabilly bass players.

Definitely check out Ray Campi on bass. I'd suggest Johnny Carroll's "Texabilly" and Mac Curtis' "Rockabilly Uprising".
    Check out Dorsey Burnette with the Johnny Burnette Trio (Rock'n'Roll Trio) and Clayton Perkins on Carl Perkins' Sun Recordings! Those players had incredible groove and feel.
    Furthermore, I'd suggest listening to Connie "Guybo" Smith, slap bass player for Glen Glenn and Eddie Cochran!

BTW: Jerry Lee Lewis and Gene Vincent had no slap bass...

8. Nuggulux

Nuggulux

Oct 24, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    You might also want to check out some of the more contemporary bassists who are pulling tons of other influences into their slap playing. Players like Mark Rubin (Bad Livers, solo, www.markrubin.com ) and Kevin Smith (High Noon ) are mixing rhumbas, Tex-Mex slap styles, and generally groovy variations into a genre that can be a little by-the-numbers.

I'd also recommend checking out any of the recordings from the Hot Club of Cowtown , especially their second CD, Tall Tales.

Western swing (like from Bob Wills and Milt Brown) and old jazz (Duke Ellington's Jungle Band and anything Pops Foster played on) is ripe for the picking too.

And the best-kept secret in the slapping world are players outside of the American mainstream styles. Check out Norteno music (like Santiago Jimenez ---both senior and junior) and Roma gyspy music from Romania. The Taraf de Haidouks are amazing. Truly amazing.

G