Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rllefebv, Oct 3, 2002.

1. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I am leaving my current band at year's end and have been approached about joining a rockabilly band when my current commitment is over. The guy has sat in with my band a few times over the past year and has expressed an interest in getting something going each time.

I'd like to go into this situation as prepared as possible, but I'm a total neophyte in this style of music. Any suggestions on some recordings/groups currently defining the style?? Any help would be appreciated...

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  3. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    for more of the psychobilly style I would recommend Tiger Army and the Nekromantics. It's fast stuff but really good :D
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Thanks a ton guys! Anybody else??

Sep 14, 2002
    Check your local record store I think there are some Rockabilly compleations that are out there. Or you can get these for starters:

Carl Perkins
    Johnny Burnette and The Rock and Roll Trio
    Gene Vincent
    Eddie Cochran

Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent border more towards rock and roll but Carl Perkins (Original Version of Blue Suede Shoes) and Johnny Burnette ( Original Train Kept a Rolling) are certain Rockabilly. :p
  6. The Living End

useless info: the bass player from Reverend Horton Heat is from the same town as me.
  7. I have nothing that hasn't already been said, but I just wanna say "Sweet!" Rockabilly's always seemed like a fun kind of music to play, especially after I saw a rockabilly band (Lords of the Highway) open for Dick Dale in Cleveland.

You gonna bust out the Ashbory on this for a pseudo-upright sound? I love popping notes on mine with the bass rolled up. Wish I could do it cleanly enough to feel comfortable using the wee little thing more.
  8. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Thanks for the replies guys... Definitely expands my range of listening! Since the original post, I've gotten a CD from the band leader with four of his original tunes, as well as a tape of his last rockabilly incarnation... The CD showcases some very melodic playing at tempos that I wouldn't associate with rockabilly... more traditional country at first blush. Very nice upright playing on there... not my strong suit!

When I spoke with him concerning my ability to play upright live, he said that my live electric bass tone is more in league with what he's looking for, with the exception of a very few tunes, (which I'll probably cover with my Ashbory, yes funk_engineer!)... So, know it's just learning the music and immersing myself in the style. He plans on filling out the song repetoire with some traditional rockabilly...

Wish me luck!

9. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Right on! The meteors and Batmobile are my 2 favorite phsycobilly bands, but you can't foeget the Amazing Crowns.
  10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm super glad someone asked about rockabilly, a seldom discussed style here. I grew up on rockabilly, being only about twelve when Bill Haley and The Comets hit the big time with "Rock Around the Clock" and "See Ya Later Alligator." What excitement! The music was such a breakthrough at that time from early fifties Dean Martin, Rosemary Clooney, Perry Como and Doris Day. I couldn't get enough of the had soul, energy and spirit.

Here's some names that were really big in my teen years. Jerry Leee Lewis, Elvis Presley (earliest work), Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Conway Twitty (early), Carl perkins and Roy Orbison. There were also many "one hit wonders"...too numerous to mention.

Rockabilly fell into decline for many years, but Brian Setzer and The Stray Cats brought it back singlehandedly. I was positively stricken when they broke up. Their concerts were an unforgettable experience. The bass player had his acoustic basses hopped up with flames like a hot rod car! One bass was a metallic cool. He used to play while he "rode' his bass! Another thing he'd do is stand beside it, but spun it round and round somehow playing it all the while. The trio was so much fun to watch and hear.

Reverend Horton Heat sort of picked up where The Stray Cats left off, but I never quite connected with them as much as I had Setzer and company. Don't know why...maybe I am too much of a rockabilly traditionalist, having grown up with the original fathers of the genre.

Good luck with your new band. If you put on a show like The Stray Cats, I know you'll be very successful.
  11. ELVIS! The very early stuff, check out 'Thats All Right Mama' for a great example of Elvis brand rockabilly.