1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RockBass® Corvette Multi Scale 5 String Bass

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jan 16, 2020.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    The RockBass® Corvette Multi Scale 5 String Bass offers optimal playability, ergonomics and sound with its fanned frets. The lower the string, the longer its scale length - and the higher the string, the shorter its scale length: multi scale 35.5” to 34” (902 mm to 864 mm).

The RockBass® Corvette Multi Scale 5 String Bass features a red alder body with maple burl top, bolt-on maple neck with Ekanga veneer stripes and a wenge fingerboard with 24 extra-high nickel silver jumbo frets and graphite nut. Other features include passive MEC Soapbar pickups, active RockBass® 2-way electronics with volume / balance / treble / bass controls, two mini-switches (for switching the humbuckers (serial / one coil / parallel), standard dome speeds, Warwick machine heads, Warwick security locks, a 2-piece Warwick bridge, chrome hardware, Warwick RED strings and Nirvana Black Transparent Satin Finish. This exceptional RockBass® comes with a Starline RockBag and will be available as a right-handed model only.

For more information, please visit:

www.warwick.de

04.jpg _Front.jpg _R0B1947.jpg _R0B1949.jpg
    1505670300CAMPBAWW_03.jpg 1505670300CAMPBAWW_04.jpg 1505670300CAMPBAWW_05.jpg 1505670300CAMPBAWW_06.jpg

VSmolsky, Jefenator, Gizmot and 9 others like this.
  2. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    I'm waiting for fender or EBMM to hop on the multiscale bandwagon.

Hopefully Warwick will expand this into their other lines so i can get a 6 string multiscale thumb bass

3. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I would do bad things for a multi scale thumb 5.

srayb likes this.
  4. Gustopher

Gustopher

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Paint it to the back of the nut and use a JAN and I'll be even more excited.

5. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    I thought Dingwall had the patent or trademark on the fanned frets for bass and another fellow had it for guitars. Word was that they both were working on it independently, met and settled on Dingwall only doing basses and the other guy doing guitars (wish I could remember his name). I'd really like to try a bass with fanned frets. I've had Dingwall's Lee Sklar signature 5-string on my wish list for a while:
    DingwallBass_LeeSklar.JPG

I just noticed that the fan frets on the Warwick is significantly less than on the Dingwall, especially as you play farther up the neck.

iiipopes likes this.
  6. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Not even close to any exclusive intellectual property rights held by Dingwall. There are quite a few builders who have started incorporating the fanned frets into their designs. Ibanez, Kiesel, ESP/LTD, Strandberg, Mayones... The list is growing, for both boutique and big brands. A few people have thought this was a Dingwall invention, but likely because they were the first company to gain recognition from using the design.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  7. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    If memory serves, Dingwall licensed the patent from Novax, but when that expired was when all the other brands started hopping on the bandwagon, to use a disparaging term.

8. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    If only we had a resource for looking this up :)
    Multi-scale fingerboard - Wikipedia

Ralph Novak FTW!

9. I just want a 7 string rock bass this is cool but I need a affordable 7 option first

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Dingwall licensed the fanned-fret approach from Ralph Novak, who developed the concept to a workable form and obtained a patent for Novax Guitars.

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  11. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    Maybe the fan frets on the Rockbass don't need to be as "severe" as the Dingwall as the Rockbass says it's scale is 35.5 to 34 - where the Dingwall is 37" to 34" (using NG 5 string scale).

Tnavis, TonyP- and Rip Van Dan like this.
  12. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    So...what makes this "multiscale"? Is it just another name for fanned-frets?

BergerHead and Mechanical like this.
  13. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Yes, same thing.

- John

Mechanical likes this.
  14. I like the concept. I hate the color. I've played a few with the 35.5 to 34. I'd like to try the 37 to 34, but I think that will limit string choices.

15. iiipopes likes this.
  16. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    You're right: they don't. On my fanned fret bass, which Sheldon Dingwall did the neck, I specified a square nut and fanning forward from there. The two main reasons were first to help my wrist stay relaxed and not pronate as I come up the neck, and second to be able to use conventional long scale strings rather than always having to have expensive fanned fret sets on the longer scales. BTW: G is Rickenbacker 33 1/4 scale; E is standard Fender 34 scale. The nut has Delft style individual compensation.
    BlueBass.JPG

17. To be fair Novak certainly did not invent the idea or implementation of fanned frets in general. It has been used throughout history on various instruments.

18. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Speaking from a strictly aesthetic perspective, I'd take this over a Dingwall.

19. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Yes. I used the Renaissance Opharion lute, which has a square nut and fanned forward frets, as the inspiration for my fanned fret guitar:
    Opharion.jpg
    FannedFretGuitar#1.jpg

ole Jason likes this.