1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rockbass by Warwick Fortress

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Aug 10, 2012.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Hello All,

Has anyone tried these out? If so what was your thoughts? Talkbass member Warwick Official had said the whole line of Rockbass's had been revamped.

Thanks

Shaun

2. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I haven't played one of the new Rockbass versions but I didn't care much for the original Rockbass version. Just didn't remind me of a Warwick at all except for the shape. That's where it ended. I understand that the new ones are supposed to be better but haven't come across one yet.

It's a shame because I've been wanting to replace my Fortress 1 that I sold around '97 ever since I let it out of my hands.

3. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    For the record, here's whats changed: We did a complete overhaul on the Rockbass line, which began to be distributed last year. They all feature 2-piece bodies (not multi-laminate) made from classical tonewoods such as Ash, Alder, Maple, Rosewood, and Tigerstripe Ebony. The necks are 3-piece maple with Ekanga veneer stringers, and they feature the same MEC Pickups and hardware as found on German-made basses....the 2-piece 3d bridge, Warwick Machine Heads, and Security Strap locks. They have the quick access control cover and truss rod cover, Just-a-Nut III, and are topped off by the W on the headstock. They are made in China, under the strict supervision and quality control of Warwick Germany. We spent a lot of time and focus to make sure the new line was upgraded in every way...they have received excellent reviews.

Please let me know if you've got any questions. Thanks!

4. My comment isn't in reference to the Fortress, but just yesterday I became aware that Warwick will have:

Warwick Alien 6-String
    Warwick-Rockbass Alien 6-String
    Warwick Steve Bailey Artist Series (Korean built)

Very cool. I posted comments in the Warwick sponsored forum. WarwickOfficial and Steve Bailey both commented within the posts.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The newer ones are pretty nice from what Ive seen. And:
    A rockbass dolphin bass would be super kewl imo.

6. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    The Artist Series line features many of our signature basses: Bootsy, TM Stevens, Stuart Zender, P-Nut, Robert Trujillo, Jack Bruce, Adam Clayton, and as you mentioned - Steve Bailey. Feel free to ask any questions, or let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Official, is getting a German made Warwick now a similar process akin to ordering a bass from a boutique builder?

I don't see any in GC, and I'd love a Warwick but I'm not willing to settle for the non German neck.

8. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    tastybasslines - Some of the bigger, non-chain shops carry German-made models. You can also go through a dealer to order one, or go through the NY Custom Shop. In the last few years we have indeed cut production numbers, with a shift towards building instruments that focus on the highest level of quality. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you've got any questions or if I can assist you in any way. I can be reached by PM or email as well, at g.noble@warwick.de Thanks!

9. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    The signature basses look really cool to. I just really like the red Fortress a lot. I tried an older model in a local shop and was blown away by the tone. Can't wait to try the newer one.

Shaun

10. I've test-driven the new Rockbass Corvettes, both in JJ and $$ configurations (the latter having a huge pair of brass ones, if you catch my drift). The QC is there. The latter-day Rockbass line is on a par with the G&L Tribute line, in terms of quality, and I would be proud to have one as a "beater," for gigs. Full disclosure: I have a German-made limited edition 'wick. Yes, there is a difference, but we're talking about a once-in a lifetime instrument vs. an everyday instrument. Don't be afraid of the Rockbass line, unless you see a single-piece bridge (in which case, the operative word is "run").

11. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Thanks for the comments plankspanker13! We spent a lot of time and energy to make sure the Rockbass line was completely upgraded. Its good to hear someone who has played both give their feedback...much appreciated!

12. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Would Really love to try out the RB Fortress and Vette $$ but just can't find a stockier in the North West UK :-(
    Official, any ideas?

13. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Official; I will be buying a new bass in the next 3 months and at this point Sterling by MM head the search so any help to point me in the direction of an RB stockier in my area is much appreciated!
    Mark

14. tindrum

tindrum

May 2, 2007
    Virginia Beach
    I completely agree. I recently tried one of the upgraded Rockbass Corvettes and was BLOWN away. Great quality for the price. I would gig one in a heartbeat.

15. Red Dog music in Edinburgh has some Rockbasses, but ive no idea versions or editions sorry.

16. I've been gigging with a new RB Streamer 5er for the past three weeks and they are definitely a worthy piece of gear. The only mods I plan on making are a pro fret level. QC is good, hardware is solid, and I really like the overall tone (thick/heavy). I've been gigging for 20+ years and this one is definitely a solid workhorse.

17. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback tindrum and bryan gibson! Its great to hear from players with experience. I appreciate the comments.

Zeveryth, thanks for the info on a shop. There is a dealer search on our website, but it doesn't list every store that has them. Best regards,

18. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I am waiting to see how much these babies will go for.

Shaun

19. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Just heard back from the US distributor and the five string Fortress is going for $829.99. I think I see a Fortress in my future.

Shaun

20. ODDBALL

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    How much does a Rockbass Fortress weight?

Shaun