Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rockbass by Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JMN357, Mar 15, 2005.

1. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    Iv'e been thinking for a bass when i go off to college and though i want to splurge on a real Warwick I dont want that burning feeling when its stolen, so, are the rockbasses they make worth it? are they any good? what are their prices? :bassist:

2. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    I would say no. I was thinking of getting one instead of a real warwick, notice I said REAL one. Rockbasses are machine stamped, not hand made like the real Warwicks. I got talked out of it real quick, was told to save for the real thing and I haven't regretted it since.

3. JMN357

JMN357

Feb 24, 2005
    I figured thats how it owuld be, the thing is im a cheap son of a B#&%$ so i wanted sometihng in that less than 700 dollar price range this way if it was stolen the burn wouldnt be too bad. I was wondering if thoose rockbasses are crap what is out there similar to a Warwick in look and sound and not to bad on price.

4. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i really really like my rockbass, but for reasons that people probably dont like them. i bought it because its active and super clanky on my amp, and really light. i love the warwick corvette look but i dont dig the sound or weight too much. the rockbass was a cheaper version that suited me better. although i have to admit that the construction is not too good, it holds itself together and plays well, plus the neck is really nice.

5. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Man the Rokbass Corvette is simply awesome!!! The sound is cool. PLEASE get it you WONT be disapointed!! :bassist:

6. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I love my Rockbass Fortress. Talking about a real Warwick, I own a Vampyre Ltd. I am also about to get a Thumb Neck-Thru. I'll still be playing on my Rockbass though... The Rockbass is an awesome bass for the money. I'd recommend you upgrade the strings to Warwick Black Label strings.

7. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    One of the things that makes a Warwick, a "real Warwick" is the wood used, Bubinga, Wenge, ect. The Rock Bass is Alder, Ash, Maple, Rosewood. Very Fenderish. So, IMHO, the only thing that makes a Rock Bass a Warwick is the shape. Now that said, I love my Corvette for the sound. The ballance and weight are another thing. So since the Rock Bass is only the shape and not the Warwick sound, why buy one. Buy a MIM Fender P or J-bass. Much better ballance and cheaper.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Er...you *do* realize that German Warwicks are factory-made basses, what with the extensive use of CNC machining and all. Sure some aspects are hand done, but I don't think Warwick has done 100% handmade basses for a LOOOONG time. Ever since Warwicks have gained in popularity of late, they're using CNC machining tools more and more these days.

As for the RockBass, you hear mixed reviews of them. Some people prefer the traditional, lighter-weight tonewoods. Others have complained about construction flaws (i.e. strap buttons coming off.)

I do agree with you that bringing a less expensive bass to college is better than bringing a pricey one, unless you have your own room and dormmates you can trust and who aren't lockpickers.

I say save up for the 'Wick, but look into other less expensive basses to bring to school with you. Because in those price ranges, RockBass is far from the only game in town.

9. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    i'm happy with my Rockbass Vampyre 5, i haven't had any problems at all. if you're looking to save money then go for it.

10. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Take a look in the classifieds forum. You can get a standard Corvette now for around $550. It's a very fair price and then you get the real thing for the price of the cheaper version.

11. If YOU like the tone, the feel and the look of the Rockbass then go ahead and buy it, wax it (if they need it???), play it and love it. The burning sensation you get if it gets stolen will be the same whether it's a 100 buck bass or a 2000 buck bass if you truly love that instrument. I hate badge snobbery-99% of your audience won't know or care what you paid for it or who Warwick are- most of 'em will probably think a bass with "Rockbass" written on it is cooler. However do try to play the actual instrument you are going to buy as I believe that the Rockbass QA may not be as good as German 'wicks. Incidently, I went out to buy a Thumb NT about 4 weeks ago. I came home with a bolt on Corvette 5 which is just awesome, AND a wallet full of notes. Cool, eh?

All IMHO of course...

12. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    IMO, the RockBass line is a totally different beast than the Warwick line. Play both, pick the one you like better. I like the Fender-ishness of the RockBass line, but I have a Fender already, and one of things I like best about Warwicks is the beefy woods they use.

One of these days, just to be perverse, I'd like to have Warwick custom make me a Fortress out of bubinga--I love bubinga, wenge, and ovangkol. I think I need a Corvette Standard to complement my Corvette Proline, too.

13. bradsully

bradsully

Jan 11, 2005
    i have a rockbass streamer 4 string and its great

14. 0scar

0scar

Jul 11, 2003
    I got my Warwick Rockbass Corvette 5 about a year and a half ago. I actually really like the sound and feel of it, the only thing that disappointed me was that at one point it died on me. This was only because my plughole (err, excuse the lack of tech. knowledge) was getting loose, and me, being retarded just kept plugging it in anyways. Apparently, the shakeyness caused one of the wires to come loose from it's welding. I got this fixed and it hasn't failed me since. It's actually really not that bad of a bass, there's just a lot of pompous assholes on this site who think the gear makes the player. I mean, look at the Beatles...not really one of my favorite bands but undoubtedly the most influencial band of all time. Their gear definately wasn't the best, but it just goes to show that gear isn't everything. I'm sure "real" 'wicks sound/feel/look better, but dude you're going into college (as am I), we're going to be broke so you might as well stick with the Rockbass and still have some green left in your pocket. Just my two cents though...

15. the only RockBass I've tried is a Vampyre, and it ROCKED!!!!!
    I DO still prefer my Thumb BO 6, but don't get me wrong, the Vamp is pure ownage for the $$.

That's just my opinion tho.