1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

RockBass by Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LesClaypoolJR, Mar 25, 2006.

1. LesClaypoolJR

LesClaypoolJR

Jun 16, 2005
    DFW, Texas
    I was wondering if anyone had any experiance with this line. Preferibly the Streamer, or Fortress. I'm seriously considering getting one or the other, due to the positive reviews on the likness to warwick. Although it will never compare, i would like some advice, comments, and actual players of these basses to help me pick one, or advice on them.

Jeremy.

2. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    I have only played the corvette, and I like the way they look. I was appaled at how small they are and the playabilty is decent.

you are going to hear many complaints about the mec pickups in the bass, but you can replace them if you want.

3. Hemitom

Hemitom

Oct 12, 2005
    BC,Canada
    I had a almond burst 5 string Rockbass Streamer for a few weeks and then traded it in....did not like the sound or feel the more I played it.My buddies Rockbass Corvette SE 4 string however does play and sound very nice(active MEC's I believe). I own a Warwick Streamer Pro M4 which I would never get rid of even though I replaced the MEC pickup and EQ with a passive humbucker...absolutely beautiful tones and playabilty.

4. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    I tried a few Warwick basses but none of them could really convice me. They just feel like toys compared to my MusicMan Basses. Ant the sound is quite ordinary, in my ears they don't really have a specific character.

5. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    :eyebrow:

6. i donno... my friend has a Warwick Corvette 4... and i doono... whether it was because i'm used to a 6.. or what...

it just felt really smalll.... and i felt like i could snap it in half without trying...

but, hey, its your call.

7. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    My corvette to me feels like it's built like a tank. I've whacked it on things many a times and it even refuses to let the wood dent.

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    This thread is funny!

It almost sounds like the nay-sayers have never held or played through a Warwick bass!

I own a Thumb and have held and played other Warwick basses and can honestly say they all felt and sounded great. Not a toy among them. Not a bad sound among them.

But...and I say BUT...I have not played a Rockbass of any stripe. And I guess this is what the thread is about. But it wasn't clear to me that all the replies were about the Rockbass line.

So I guess I'll shut up for now.

:D

Joe.

9. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I am a warwick fan, but the rockbass is just not the same beast to me. For my ears, the "warwick" sound is created by the heavy body woods, dense necks, and thin finishes used on the German basses. The rockbasses dont have these, and to my ears, don't have any of the warwick sound. This is not to say that they are bad basses, but there are other companies who make basses of a better quality at this price point.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    That's good to know.

The next time I see one in a music store I'll make sure to check it out.

:D

Joe.

11. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1. i hope your talkin about rockbass by warwick, and not the real deal. i think a warwick has a more solid feal than a musicman.

12. i have to say i'm lusting after a Warwick Corvette $$ among other things at the moment. that being said though, i'm not a fan of their rockbass series. i've played both a streamer and a vampyre and was rather un-impressed. pickups left something to be desired to say the least.

check them out for yourself, if you like the sound/feel/value, go for it! don't rely on other peoples oppinions (unless there's absolutly nowhere to try them nearby).

good luck man!

13. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    the $$ sounds kickass. and that oiled swamp ash body feels great. i just can't get around those pups. like... forget about slap completely. you better like fingerstyle and pick 100%

however, the act as a gigantic thumb ramp across the bass. so thats a benefit.

looks kinda funny tho.

14. Bassopotamus

Bassopotamus Guest

Mar 22, 2006
    Ocean Springs MS
    i heard that getting a rockbass is just a cheap way of saying you own a warwick

ive played one at a local guitar shop and it was nuthin fancy

15. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i highly recommend an ibanez over a rockbass.

better build, eklectronics, and pups. and so much better looking :).

faster neck too. warwick specializes in tis 'good' instruments. ibanez prizes itself on its medium pirced instruments. go with the ibis!

16. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    Of course this is just my opinion and naturally it is quite subjective. But all MusicMan have a really characteristic growl. You know them by sound. I cannot say that for Warwick. As I said, I tried a few and they all sounded very ordinary. Not bad, but nothing special.
    And I also didn't like the feel of them. A Stingray feels solid, heavy and robust. All the Warwicks felt small und airy in comparison. This also is quite subjective but they felt just like toys and not like a "real" bass.
    But as I said, this is just my opinion. If there weren't enough people liking Warwick basses, they wouldn't sell that much. :)

17. reens

reens

Mar 16, 2005
    Brisbane
    to be honest the RockBass ain't the full Warwick; some of the finishing touches aren't as high-end or high-spec. But the RB Fortress (active) I got seems much better than the RB Corvettes both in sound, feel and tone. The Corvettes were like trebly, clanky toys. The Fortress solid with a big range, and a tone that is somewhat different, unique. I'm gonna upgrade to a stage II soon (cash permitting) but wanna keep the fortress on hand as a practice bass.
    reens

18. When I was looking for a decent Bass, I looked in several stores. I tried everything in my price range. I wasnt impressed with the Warwick RockBass. I ended up with a Schecter and recommend it.

19. My main bass is a Yamaha BB fretless 4 string which I am very happy with, as well as a 4 string fretted Yamaha BB.

I also have a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic, it does its job and has a decent sound but nothing special (I've heard worse) and a very average 'feel'.

I originally intended to get a 'regular' Warwick but ended up spending the money on other equipment. I needed a 5 string though, so when the offer for a mint condition 5 string warwick rockbass came up for a killer price, I couldn't pass it up. If it wasn't a 5 string I wouldn't have bought it.

Are you looking to use the rockbass as your main bass? What kind of music do you play?

If you're looking to do cover rock/pop or punk gigs, I'd say that shouldn't be a problem. It's a cheap but good-enough bass you can jump around with.

20. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    For the price of a brand new Rockbass Fortress, you may be able to get a preowned German Warwick Corvette Standard. So if you have $700- $800 to spend on a bass, I'd hold out for a used German Warwick. Warwicks are great deals on the used market. I bought my '97 Corvette Standard (with case) from a fellow TBer for $700 and it was worth every penny.

Of course if you want the Warwick look (in terms of body shape) with more traditional tonewoods (i.e. alder, rosewood) then go RockBass.