RockBass by Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Warwick is producing this ´economic´ line of basses which include some Corvettes and Steamer standards.. THAT´S GREAT!!!..

It would have been impossible for me to own a warwick till the day I graduated and got a good job, but now, my poor hands can get to hold one of theese.. I haven´t even seen a warwick live ever.. :D (there are no warwick dealers in Latin America at all..and haven´t had the chance to go to the US to check out more basses)

I´m really putting a Corvette 5 string in my list of possible new adquisitions..

2. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, I understand your point of view, but to be truthful Warwick bolt-ons bodies were made in Korea since 1999, if I remember well. Be sure that soon ALL Warwick basses will be made in Korea and only set-up and finished in Germany, to get the right to write "MADE IN GERMANY". What a shame!
    If you could play an early Thumb and then a new one, you would cry.:(
    I remember that the first series of Thumb basses had a beautiful open-grained fingerboards and tops. The luthiers didn't use Kerosene to soften hardwoods, at the time.
  3. I get your point as well.. But I don´t think a can really apreciate differences such as the quality of a bolt on body judged only by its origin.. It´s gotta be sad that things (like basses) lose their quality and touch as they become more commercially demanded...
    But for many young bass players like me, its really good news that basses like theese come up to the market.. I mean, I´m sure, that eventhough theyre made in CHina, and the "RockBass " name displayed on the headstock looks like $%#, they´re MUCH better than some other at the same price range--.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    if you want an asian made warwick - get a cort artisan instead. bartolini active electronics and pickups, 2 piece bridge, wenge neck, and made from a factory that we KNOW makes good stuff (the Cortek factory in korea)

as nice as they may well be - a warwick with a maple neck and a rosewood board ISN'T a warwick.

AFAIC, of course.

does anyone have confirmation on whether the neck thru basses are going to be made overseas as well - ie the streamer stage II, dolphin, etc? if that's true - my next bass won't be a new warwick, that's for sure.

5. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    The problem with that logic is that most of the warwick basses on the market today, aren't much better than there equal price counterparts. Im not saying i wouldn't like a warwick, actually id love a fretless corvette f.n.a. jazzman, but having played an early 90's thumb bass and a brand new thumb, both neck through, I feel that the early one is a much better insturment. For that much money though id just buy two more music man stingray 5 strings.

I do want that fretless though!:D
  6. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, you should play an Eighties Thumb... the Nineties one cannot be compared.
  7. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    does anyone have confirmation on whether the neck thru basses are going to be made overseas as well - ie the streamer stage II, dolphin, etc? if that's true - my next bass won't be a new warwick, that's for sure.

jason [/B][/QUOTE]

None of the neck thru's will be made in asia, Some people say that the bolt ons are made in asia, I asked Dana and they said, "hell no, where did you here that!!??"

If there are they're damn good!
  8. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    It's pretty obvious that Warwick will hold this thing secret. If you're happy to pay Korean made stuff like German built one, the choice is yours! Be sure that they'll never admit the real things.
  9. I bought my Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 4 strings in 1991, it's the best Warwick ever, the current ones can't compare. Damn, wasn't I lucky that I bought it then? Though it did cost me an arm and a leg, it was $3600 Singapore dollars. But I didn't regret it,and knowing what Warwick is doing now, I'm keeping my Dolphin in the closet!
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've been reading this thread for a couple of days. Let's clear some things up. First, the Rockbass line will be made in China. A neck thru Streamer and a set neck Dolphin will be in the line up as well. Second, as for the basses with that "W" on the headstock, it's ALL going to be made in Germany. No if's, and's, or but's. GERMANY! Say it with me: GER - MAN -Y!
    Good! :D
  11. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    You are pretty. Thanks for the info.:D
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You're just saying that 'cause it's true!!!!:D
    You're welcome.
  13. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I asked Dale T. about the Bolt on made in asia rumor.
    I copied this from my e-mail then pasted it here.
    This is his reply.

Hey David,

Thanks for the email! I can tell you from first hand experience that ALL
    Warwick basses (including the necks) are made in their factory in
    Marknuekirchen, Germany. I don't know how that rumor started, but it is
    completely unfounded.

With that said, Warwick has begun offering a bass line that is made in
    China. That line is called the RockBass line and it does not have the
    Warwick "W" on the headstock.

If you have any more questions PLEASE feel free to email me back.

Thanks again!

14. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    if you want to rip on manufacturing, look at the fenders... stampd off a press!?! come on
  15. I must say I like the Made in Japan Fender basses and guitars better than the U.S made ones.
  16. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Stamped off a press eh? Boy I sure would like to see that process, I've never actually witnessed a wood press in action.

17. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    actually that guy in a guitar shop who had a pre '97 streamer LX4 told me the new ones are made in korea (must have meant the Alien model as this was one and a half years ago).

anyway, as much as this guy being the typical bull**** filled salseperson he surely heard of that rumor, which means either someone is intrested in causing Warwick damages or the rumor is true ("oh no, dont say its true!").
  18. Hmmm... I don't see why Warwick would want to risk credibility by moving their manufacturing to Asia... I don't see it. I don't buy the rumor.

The Rockbass idea is good since MOST OF US CAN'T #@&$% SHELL OUT $2000 FOR A BASS. If there were no MIM Fenders (I have a MIM J) I'd have to play a Samick or Maison or some $***** cheapo bass. And oh yeah my MIM has been very good to me thank you very much.

Interesting though... last time I checked (correct me if I'm wrong here) Rickenbacker hasn't yet gone the economic-line-of-bass route...
  19. My local Guitar Center routinely discounts Warwicks, which is why it always seems odd to me when people say "I can't afford to pay $2000 for a bass!"--who's paying $2000 for a Warwick? MTD 535, Lull Modern 5 w/LED's--those are my $2000 basses. I got my Corvette Limited Edition with bubinga top, ash body, and maple fretboard for $699 at the last GC clearance sale. Last year, I got a green FNA5 for $725. I ended up returning both of them, cause they're not really my thing. But if you've got a GC nearby, just be patient and you'll get into a "real" German Warwick for a lot less than $2000.

I don't really understand the logic of "I can't afford a real Warwick, so the Rock Bass will be awesome because it's like a $2000 bass, only $500." Like I said, I guess Warwicks aren't really my thing, but even the low end German ones I've had, and the ones I've tried but not bought, weren't all that compelling. I've tried the more expensive ones, and even though I wouldn't pay a couple G's for one, I could see how they would be worth that much to somebody--they were at least on the level of other basses in that price range.

Still, I can't imagine the Rock Bass being all that great. When it comes out, I still won't be able to afford a $2000 Warwick.