Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rockbass corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Feb 9, 2005.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    a while ago i bought a rockbass corvette 4 string fretted off musicians friend. it came a bit dinged and needed a setup but i loved the sound of the pickups. after about a month with it, a bunch of stuff started happening. first the strap things started coming loose, then the pots started getting scratchy, and then the jack started coming loose. i was able to fix the strap things by putting toothpicks inside, and got rid of the scratchiness by just turning the pots a lot, but i still have to tighten the jack every once in a while. after i got all that sorted out, the neck pickup got screwed up. i had tried to raise it a little but it wouldnt budge. after working at it, i managed to strip one of the screws and the hole the screw was in. after i took it out, i found out that the spring under it was bent. i took it in to the local music shop, and they fixed it up for me, and set it up for free, cause they felt bad for me. :) . since then ive the only problems ive had are the jack coming loose, not being able to adjust the neck pickup, and some slight fret buzz.

so anyway, onto the real question. i was thinking about buying a fretless version of the same bass since i love the sound so much, but do you guys think its worth it, after all the crap i had to go through? i know most of it seems like routine little problems but with so many im not sure if its worth it. plus it came dinged and i bought it new...

if any1 has any opinions on my situation or if any1s played a fretless version of this bass and can tell me what it sounds like it would be greatly appreciated.

im also thinking about getting a standard fender p, should i just go for that?

2. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Wow, you seem to be a really patient and tolerant person! I had a fender that kept breaking down on me, I sold it for pittance just to get rid of it. Maybe you just got a lemon? you should be really fussy when buying a bass, play a few fretless warwicks and really look them over before buying. Also try some other fretless basses out and see what you think.

3. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I believe that you must've gotten a bad one. I own a Rockbass Fortress that I play on all the time and actually gig with that has had 0 problems, knock on wood.

If you decide to get a fretless, I'd definitely recommend the Corvette Classic. The tiger-eye ebony fretboard looks great and complements the tobacco sunburst flame maple top.

4. i had the same problems with my 5 string rockbass corvette i bought a couple of years back, i had no end of trouble with the input jack, solder on the wiring coming loose, and scratchy pots, after numerous fixing jobs i just gave up on it, and now it just sits in a corner.

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    thnx fer all the advice guys, and zender, dont give up on it, bad basses need love too ;)

6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Waha, that was a great quote!

Also, did you pay full price for a dinged bass?

7. hehe, it still gets played everynow and then, but with my warwick streamer lx coming next week its going to have to go, along with my schecters,

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man my 95 warwick corvette pro-line is a tank! I could catch it on fire and run over the bass and i still could get up and play a good show! I bet it would still be in tune even!