Rockbass or Schecter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glydebass, Jan 20, 2004.

1. glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    Hey yall
    I am looking for a new bass and I've narrowed it down to either a Schecter Stiletto ELite 5 or a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Standard 5. I've gotta few questions that I hope yall can answer. The first few are about the Warwick. Is it true that the Rockbass is to Warwick as Squire is to Fender. Also does the wood really comprimise the sound to the point where it doesn't sound like a Warwick. Thirdly, are there any people on here who own one and if so tell me what drew you to it. Now for the Schecter. I've heard nothing but praise for this bass on here. One of my friends owns one and says he is having electrical problems with it. Do yall who own it know anything about it. Any comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Peace Love and Happiness
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Yes, it is true about Rockbass -> Warwick as Squier -> Fender. No, a Rockbass will not sound like a real Warwick. The wood on a Corvette "Basic" (there is no "standard" in the Rockbass line) is 2 piece alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. A fair step away from the 2-3 pieces of bubinga used for the body and wenge fingerboard. I don't know what the neck material is. It also uses nickle frets, which is different than the Warwick's usual proprietary bell brass alloy. Do note that the Rockbass Basic Corvette has a 2 band EQ with passive pickups and the Warwick Corvette Standard has active pickups and...three knobs. It says "2 way MEC electronics" on the site, but that's irritatingly vague. Also note that the bridge is dramatically different. On all Warwicks, the strings go through the body, onto a tailpiece, and THEN the bridge. The Rockbass just has a regular top-load. Chances are, the sound is radically different.

You might want to talk to your friend about the Schecter's "electrical problems". It could be a bad connection, a jack on the fritz 'cause he pulled his cord out too fast and at too weird of an angle, etc. It could be a lot of things. I played a Stilleto Elite 4 a little while ago and it was one hell of a killer instrument, I'd definitely reccomend it.

Check a lot of reviews and play both of them extensively before making your decision.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    For the love of god, get the schecter. All schecters i've played (guitars and bass) have been very high quality, with a kickass sound. My only gripe is that they have a very thin neck. But you may like that! To each his own.
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I'd say go for the Schecter. I had a Stiletto Elite-4 and the only problem I had with it was that the volume pots were crap. Too much static when moved.

Other than that, top notch construction. Especially the action/fretwork
  5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I think for the money spent, there are MUCH better basses to be had. Both brands I tried suck, but they both say METAL if that's what you're into.
  6. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Between the two you mentioned I'd go with the Schecter, but I agree with Tom cole in so much as there are better Basses out there. The Ibanez BTB for instance is better than the Schecter to me. Keep your eyes open and don't settle for something, get something you wil love right from the start!;)
  7. H3rEye51nRoam

Nov 18, 2003
    Well I am buying a used Schecter Stiletto Elite 4 and it is being sent out this weekend so I'l let you know how it plays for me. I love the looks though and from all I have read and hear it is excellent.
  8. glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    yeah i know there are other basses out there but these two have had the best feel for me. I was looking into the Ibanez in a four string but not the fiver cause I just couldn't get a feel for it. Also I don't really get the METAL comment cause I got great sounds for "mellow" rock out of both of them with the amp I have(granted its not that great of an amp). I am still looking for a different bass but until my local GC gets a completly new shipment of anything other than cheap yamahas I'm stuck with these two great basses. So the Schecter is what's looking good. Noted. Thanks for the great advice.
  9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Some people get the notion that Schecter is only for metal because if you look at some of their designs, and alot of their artist roster, thats what they imply really. Plus with the fact that they have EMG's, which I found pretty hot, which would work good in a metal setting anyway.
  10. I have the schecter elite 5 and found it to be one of if not the best 5 string bass under $1000. Great all around, rock, funk, slap, jazz, and metal.
  11. Not to nitpick your excellent comparison Govithoy, but you are mistaken on one point about strings-through-body on Warwicks. They topload into the tailpiece which makes for quick string changes.

Back to your regularly scheduled topic...
  12. the only schecter i've ever played was the diamond series model T (robert deleo signature model). it was pretty outstanding in every way. i still want to buy one.

i have played a rockbass. it was disarmingly lightweight. i liked the tones it got, but not enough to get GAS over it. even though it doesn't sound like a german warwick, it had good sounds of its own, irrespective. no playability issues -- the most surprising part was that the neck wasn't the typically fat warwick neck (which i like).

they are very different from each other in my mind, so try to list what you like and don't like about each. that way you can try to put some objectivity into the decision making process. i do that with just about everything i buy that isn't food or gasoline.

13. i have a schecter stiletto custom-4 and i love it. and for the part about being good for metal they are good for other things too. i play in a ska/reggae band and i love it. i am having no problems with it either.
  14. I like my schecter SB1. I beat the hell out of it and it always stays in tune and find the action and neck to be very fast.
  15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My Schecter Stiletto Studio 4 is my main bass and I love it. It stays in tune for weeks at a time and is built quite solidly. Haven't had any problems in the 1.5 years that I've owned it.
  16. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I have the Rockbass and a Standard Corvette Warwick. They are very differnt, but the way i would describe the difference is that the Rockbass is a more all-around bass, and the Corvette has more of a sound of its own. I'd gove the Rockbass more consideration than is being suggested here, becasue the Rockbass is new, and not as many people have tried or owned it. I like the Rockbass for blues and rock. It is lightwieght and the neck is more comfortable thatn the Corvette. Every time I play it, I come away thinking that it is a surprisingly good bass for hte $$. It is not the Squire to Fender in that the Squire suck and the Rockbass is a good, versatile, easy-playing bass. Some basses you have to adjust to. This bass you just pick up and go, IMO.
  17. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Spector Q4....Same electronics, same price range as the Shecter, I think it's a better bass for the buck, just an option.
  18. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    ..similar sounding name..:)
  19. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes and a similar sounding name. Tobias I'm GASSIN for a G&L man, i bet yours just freakin rocks! I'm torn between the L2k and ASAT.
  20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've never played an ASAT, but I love the L2K. Lets put it this way, in the 2 1/2 years that I've played I've owned:

Ibanez GSR200, Ibanez SR400, Ibanez AEB30LG, Dean Edge 4 Fretless, Tobias Growler 4, Dean JB Standard, Carvin LB75P, Schecter Stiletto Elite 4, Cort B4FL, G&L JB-2, MM Sterling, Yamaha BB604, MTD Kingston Fretless, MM Sterling Fretless

and its the only bass that I haven't even CONSIDERED replacing. And its the only bass that I've owned that I've been consistantly happy with. I've had mine for 2 months and usually around this time I start looking around for something else (except for the SR400, AEB30LG and Dean Fretless which I played before I discovered OTHER basses besides Ibanez and Dean) *lol* I kept those for atleast a year. The only other basses I see in my future (far future $$$), are an L-2000 fretless and a custom ordered L-2000