Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rockbass or spector?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by devil259, Mar 14, 2004.

1. devil259

devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    erm...should i get a rockbass vampyre or a spector performance series? :confused:

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    The Rockbasses seem to be a bit more modern sounding, nothing really special about the sound, but they definitly sound good...

The spectors seemed really warm to me, and had more tonal options.

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Spector......

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spectors have nicer balance. I found the rockbass woods to be too light.. = neckdive. Didnt even feel that nice

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    ??? Alder doesnt sound like that light - nor does bubinga and I still get dive... This is rather a body shape/neck wood/neck construction (steel reinforced with steel trussrod)/headstock&tuning keys issue... imho

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes normally i would say the same but the Rockbasses ive tried were SO light. Probably 7 pounds. O well

7. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    I was most un-impressed by the price tag on the Rockbass,way overpriced. IMHO,all Warwick's are overpriced. Although I feel the same way about Spector (EURO'S). -Luke

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Spector overpriced? Maybe only the Euros.. I think that the Koreans are amazingly priced.

9. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Yes,the Euros. -Luke

10. Go for a spector dude...you want be sorry...i have a performance series...look in the gear reveiw database and i posted pics and a review

11. devil259

devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    erm...izzit better if i get the korean spector?

12. rkfromChi

rkfromChi

Jan 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL.
    Can someone please explain what "neckdive" entails.

13. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    YES!!!

I have 2, NT and BO. Great basses, active electronics and passive pickups.

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Sure can! My Fender MusicMaster is a perfect example. Get a slick leather strap (or make a duct tape one). Put on the bass and hold it in playing position :bassist: Now let go of the neck. If the neck "dives" down towards the floor when unsupported, you got neckdive :eek:

15. ...since I am a Warwick fan of the highest order...but if you want bang for the buck, the MIK Spectors are tough to beat. Both the Performance and Professional Series are MIK. I have a Pro series semi-hollow 4 (called the Spectorcore; has a single PU & a piezo bridge--nice; clean & loud). The MIK Schecters are good too.

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I agree wiuth the Koreans being amazingly priced! However, I think for what you get the Euro is an amzing price also....however they are competing with instruments in a different price zone. I think the Euro Spectors hold their own against instruments twice their cost.

For the thread starter - get a Spector! ;)

17. devil259

devil259

Feb 13, 2004
    thanks for all the info guys :)... but is there any link for the korean dealer? Or where can i get the korean spector? i had search over google and cannot find any korean spector...:(

18. I have played some Euro Spectors. The 4 string Rebop felt just like a Warwick Streamer LX (why not--the body design is licensed), except for the pickups being soapbars instead of P/J, and the price being about $350 less. Ok, so the wood's not exactly as exotic either, but are you looking for furniture or a workhorse? As I said, it breaks a Warwick fan's heart, but I'd recommend a MIK Spector over a MIC Rockbass (unless you got a great deal on a Corvette Classic-I have ssen $475 new at a certain shop-pretty good) most of the time, and leave the accompanying political debate to the other threads that already contain it.

I have also messed around at GC on a Spector Performer series axe. Nice step-up from Squire-land for the less experienced, a great "dive-bar" bass for those gigs in troublesome places that you don't wanna bring your boutique instrument to. I would call the Performer Series the spiritual equivalent of the SWR Workingman's Series, the only difference being that the Spector has more guts than SWR in an unbalanced equation of guts and glory that defines most rank-and-file bassists.
    Spector's Professional Series essentially is Performers with FMT; a little bit more from the wallet, but still a lot of value. My Spectorcore sure is loud & clean, thanks to the piezo. It can get a very ABG-like sound, and is perfect for my duet gigs with an acoustic guitar gal (oh yeah, she's a looker too...but I get all the solos).

You can always move up to a Warwick when your budget, ears and hands tell you. For years I thought W basses were not my cup of tea until one melted in my hands in 1998. I am now on my 6th Warwick. #7 may be the aforementioned Rockbass, since I would feel OK about putting a Hipshot Xtender on it and making it a workhorse. (One does not perform such desecrations on limited edition instruments!)

Good luck...don't forget the pix.

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Check out the Spector website :-

www.ssdbass.com

And go into the Dealers section :-

http://www.ssdbass.com/NewFiles/where.html

Then check out where is near you...they may have Professional Series/Performance Series in stock!

Have fun!