Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rockbass players...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Sep 10, 2004.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i've been in the market for a new bass for a few months and out of all the basses ive tried (in my price range) rockbasses seem to be the best. i've been playing for about 2 years and the corvette basic seems perfect for the type of music i play. i picked up a used one from GC and loved it...until it fell apart :crying: . Luckily GC was nice enough to give me a refund. I just bought a new one off of musicians friend and im hoping i made the right choice. If any one else owns one, do they last very long, or did i just get unlucky with my last one?

any feedback is appreciated

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    How exactly did it fall apart?

3. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    it had an adjustable nut, which was really nice, but damaged. i didnt notice, since it was internal, and one side of the nut kinda caved in. it wasnt that bad and while i was searching for a replacement nut one of the tuning pegs came loose. i decided it was too much and that a new one would be better.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Couldnt you have just..tightened/screwed in the tuning peg?

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i tried but it kept coming loose, i got tired of fixing it every half hour, and there were more scratches that i had realized on it. but guitar center was cool about it.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah i see, back to your question.. exactly how much money do you have to spend? I personally have not been very impressed with the quality and feel of the Rockbass series and would look for an alternative.

7. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i have around $600 to spend and i play mainly hard rock type stuff. my band is basically a bunch of rush lackeys so we play in that style. i play about 90% fingerstyle, 5% slap, and 5% pick. i love active basses and i wouldnt get anything else unless it was really really nice. i also like lighter basses, and the rockbass works there too. i havent seen any thing else that rivals it in that price range yet.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $600 is a great price range, and rockbasses can be beaten easily. Especially if you buy used, would you buy used?

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    A used G&L would be pretty solid for that price, though everyone gives mixed reviews on that bass. Really powerful bass it is.

10. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i would buy used again but only if i got to spend a lot of time with the bass beforehand. i dont want to jump in too quick like last time. remember that it also has to be active.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would look at a G&L tribute.

12. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Yeah the l-2000 & ASAT have everything on em'......like a decked out Caddy.

13. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    whoa, i didnt know g&l made basses this cheap. these look really nice, ill go out and try one this weekend. thnx you guys.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I second the G&L Tribute recommendation, and also suggest the MTD Kingston and Heir, and the Lakland 44-01. All of these spank the Rockbasses IMHO.

15. The rockbasses own for the price. They are really good isntruments. I have a rockbass streamer and it is SOOOOO nice to play. The neck is very smooth, and it has a fairly good punchy sound. I have also tried a rockbass corvette, and it played wonderfully aswell. I highly recommend getting one.

16. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    G&L tribute, or used G&L l-2000
    possibly find a used german made warwick also for that price.

im a firm beliver in Dean basses, for about 250-300 you can find a used q-4 or for about 350-400 a new one.

im just picking up a used 6 string Q series, only put me down 320 bucks, EMG pups and pre amp, grover hardware, really solid construction and light weight

17. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Ive had my rock bass for just over a year now.

Within 6 months, both strap pegs fell out and had to be super-glued back in.

Recently Ive lowered the action and been using lighter gauge strings, it helps, but its still a real pain to tap or get loud harmonics out of the bass because its passive.

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The two rockbasses I've seen hanging at the local Sam Ash were very impressive in terms of their build quality. Very comfortable to play, too.

19. Acephalous

Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Paris
    I have a Rockbass Corvette and I was forced to get a new neck from Warwick because the older one had a flaw.
    I discovered a dead spot on the new neck (after several months).
    I brought my bass to the luthar to see if he can fix it.

20. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    MTD Kingston
    or
    Musicman Passive SUB