Rockbass vs. Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sigbass, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm looking for a good 5 string bass in the $500 range. I'm learning slap with my teacher and I only play fingerstyle in a band setting so far. I've heard very good things about both Rockbass and Spector, considering the price range. I was wondering what you guys thought about each of these basses in comparison of one another and if there are any other basses that would suit my needs that I dont know about. Thanks :)
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you can afford a Spector Legend, go for it. Easily better than Rockbasses.
  3. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    What about the Spector Performance series? Those are in his price range and are Spectors.

But, I too would go with Spector over Rockbass. Why? Too many people on these forums have talked about Rockbasses not being constructed very well and falling apart on them. I've sampled some of the lower end Spectors and quite liked the feel and sound.

You might want to consider other brands like Peavey. Peavey has some good 5 and 6 string basses in a variety of price ranges. I dug the Fury 6 and the Grind 5. Granted, Peavey isn't a "cool" brand name like Spector or Warwick, but they're well made basses that sound good and play nice.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Anything from the Spector Performance or Professional series would be good.
  5. Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    Does anyone know where I could hear soundclips of any Spector basses?
  6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg. If I'm right thats on a specotr, Triangle is a pretty awexome song!
  7. Sigbass

Mar 17, 2004
    So.....nothing else besides Spector that'd be really nice?
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Yamahas are quite underrated in this price range - I'd easily put one up against a Spector, and I think it would crush a Rockbass easily.
  9. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Definitely go with the Spector Professional or Legend series basses.

They are superb in build quality, feel and sound and are tremendous value for money. The Warwick Rockbass are by contrast pretty poorly constructed and cheap feeling.

IMHO the only decent Warwicks are the higher end ones made in Germany, whereas Spector produce great quality/value instruments across all price ranges and no matter where they are made! :)
  10. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You might consider a G&L Tribute or maybe a used Conklin GT-5.