Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anomalybass, Oct 24, 2004.

1. I found a used warwick thumb rockbass 4 for $250 in great condition at the guitar shop today. I played it for a minute and it seemed alright. I've never played a real thumb so I have nothing to campare it to besides my cirrus. The only thing I noticed was a cheap bridge. Anyone have any input on quality, good/bad experiences? Is it worth the price?

Thanks for the help.
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Rockbass Thumb? :eyebrow:

Rockbasses come in Corvette, Streamer, Fortress and Vampyre shape, but not in Thumb shape
  3. Yeah i wondered if you just upgraded the hardwear if the thing would be a winner.
  4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    you havent played nor seen a thumb bass.
  5. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    What I'm not sure about... is why you'd be interested in a bottom line warwick when you already have a cirrus? :)

6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There is no such thing as a Rockbass Thumb.
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Just get a used Warwick Corvette. They're a step above Rockbasses for around the same price.
  8. Coolest used warwick for reasonable price is the FOrtress Flashback series. I have been looking for one of these but it has eluded me.

It is the only warwick I liked it terms of tone. It was nice and mello. it was more the "sound of wood" as the slogan says. Some other warwick are the sound of strings.
  9. You're right, it was a corvette. Yes I've seen a thumb, and the reason I'm interested in the rockbass when I already have a cirrus is price. I'm looking for a cheap but quality bass. I figured since warwick made rock basses that they might be similar quality. Don't they have the same pickups? It sounded pretty good when I played it.
  10. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I believe the Rockbass line uses the same MEC pickups that German-made Warwicks do. The major differences in the Rockbass line are the selection of woods (alder, maple, rosewood versus the more exotic woods like bubinga, ovankol, and wenge) and the more 'budget' hardware.

I've not played a Rockbass myself so I can't judge, but I know they're hit or miss with people on the forum. Some folks love their Rockbasses while others have talked of theirs falling apart.

If you're looking for an inexpensive, but still high quality bass, why not try the Spector Performance line as well? I personally love the feel of Spector basses and quality control on Spectors is very good across the board.
  11. Rick1114

Sep 23, 2004
    I recently purchased a Rockbass (I'm mainly a guitar player who wanted to expand my horizons) and don't see what all the complaints are about. After testing many, many basses in the under $500 price range, it sounded the best to my ears when plugged in. Nice, crisp sound and it resonated well despite the alder wood used. And I tried the Ibanez and Spectors...just didn't think end result sound was as good. I will say some basses were more fun to play (Ibanez SRX) or other attributes that people may 'prefer' over the Rockbass (thicker necks, more solid hardware etc), but failed in overall sound or playbility. But the Rockbass has is great electronices (same MEC as the germans), high quality workmanship, and an excellent design, and it all works together to produce great results. And It DOES have the Warwick thump, although Warwick purists will say otherwise. The main fault is the hardware, I may replace the bridge myself at some point, IMO all the gripes are by purists or people who are blaming their personal preferances on the instrument quality. Just open it up and you will they are carefully painted inside lead paint so the electronices are super quiet, my fender Strat doesn't even have that! It's a great recording, beginner or 2nd Bass if the body style fits your preferences.

If your a serious Bass player, you will probably want to own at least 1 bass in a different league than under $500, but for what it is the Rockbass is outstanding.
  12. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    To get one point outta the way!
    Rockbass are a totally different company who havr rights to warwick designs.... they are not "a bottom line warwick"

and they arent aloud use the thumb shape as it is warwicks
    "Flagship bass"

and there is no rockbass that sounds like a warwick some get close but none have the dept of a wenge or ovankgol neck
    in terms of sound or feel
  13. Rick1114

Sep 23, 2004
    To be fair, the of course the exotic woods are going to make a difference, it does't matter what brand it is. That's why you pay the premium for it! It IS Warwick's design, and it still works well with alder (I never heard anyone say a guitar was crap b/c it was alder), and the high quality control standards on the craftmanship are apparent (I'm talking specifically about the woodwork, finish, fretwork and electronics, the tuning pegs and bridge suck, but that's not workmanship, that's cost control). I'm still blown away how much attention they put to paint the inside cavity like that, you can tell it was done with care.

I played many real Warwicks (GC is across the street from MY Job) and noticed the differences on the real deal were the Baseball bat neck (Rockbass has a thin neck), Heavier bodies (due to exotic woods), and better hardware which of course make for a better instrument and higher price tag, no dispute there. But even if I play a high end Music Man or Fender, it doesn't have the signature thump my Rockbass has. I never even intended to play that style, but it felt so good to slap this bass, it forced me to incorporate it into my playing!