Rockboard V10 Iso Power Block VS Iso Brick VS Ciosk DC8

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WILLMAN, Jan 25, 2022.

1. WILLMAN

WILLMAN

Jun 5, 2020
    Hi Guys,

Its time for me to ditch the daisy chain and get an isolated power supply. However my board is very small can fit like 8 boss sized pedals max and has no underneath storage.

For these reasons I'm looking for a small isolated power supply that can power 6/7 9V pedals at 100 mA. It will be mounted on top of my board and the smaller in every dimension the better.

Does anyone have experience with the Rockboard V10? It says its isolated but I don't know if I can trust it where its made in China.

Backup Picks are the Iso brick or Ciosk DC8 (which is largest of the 3) .

Thanks guys. Bonus points for patch cable recommendations.

-WILLMAN
    upload_2022-1-25_21-24-19.png upload_2022-1-25_21-25-33.png
    upload_2022-1-25_21-26-5.png

2. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    If your board has screw-mounted feet, you have storage underneath.

Simply swap out the existing for taller feet.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Truetone CS6 will do that with ease. As will the Cioks DC7. Both should be a good bit smaller than the ones you posted.

4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    CIOKS is so quiet and stays cool and has easily switchable voltage and we all know it’s isolated. And it’s super easy to install under any deck because it’s so narrow. And it’s expandable but you still only need 1 plug on the wall.

And maybe not every pedal you’ll ever want is 9V. Just saying.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Jeff Elkins, WILLMAN and el murdoque like this.
  5. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    I started down the whole "effects on bass" rabbit hole back in 2013 with a Zoom B3. Since then, I'm on my 3rd PSU. I bought my current PSU so it had room to grow and expand. I never really thought I'd get to over 12 feeds, all with hungry DPS's to feed. When I ran an all analogue board (with one DSP), I could get away with a One Spot daisy chain, and it worked great (those were the days). Then I had a major board revision and expansion into all digital...and I needed a more suitable pedalboard and PSU. I chose a Strymon Ojai because it delivered more than enough wattage and it could be expanded. Last year I needed a 2nd Ojai unit (they are designed to expand and parallel up) only to find that in the middle of late last year I had maxxed out the number of feeds and the I was nearing the max wattage that the Ojai could offer. Here I am in 2022, looking at replacing my PSU with another with a view of more expansion and having some juice in the tank. I'm looking at a Cioks CD7 & 8 expander.
    When I started on this journey, the DC7 wasn't available and I probably would have gone for the Strymon Ojai. It's expandable (the first of it's kind). It's neat and very small. However...my advise is to buy a PSU that really has more than you need and has the ability to upgrade / expand as your board will probably grow over the coming years. I would advise going for a Cioks DC7 now...it'll set you up well for the future and takes out a lot of the PSU headaches of running a cheaper but less flexible option.

Jeff Elkins, WILLMAN and Hypocrite like this.
  6. I too would suggest the Cioks DC7. Large but smaller than most, more than enough power, and when you get more pedals (because you will!) it can even power a second PSU

Jeff Elkins and WILLMAN like this.
  7. WILLMAN

WILLMAN

Jun 5, 2020
    Hi All! Thank you for the quick replies on such an unfun subject. I neglected to say my pedal board is a homemade one that i built into a small suitcase, so I do not have any mounting underneath and the height needs to be maintained to close the suitcase. I like all the love for ciosk and considered getting the 1 spot pro cs6, but going off all of the dimension on sweetwater it looks like the Power Block and M238 Iso brick are all smaller than every pervious choice.

Im really leaning towards the Isobrick right now, just because I trust it more than the Iso Power Block and its surface area is about 2 in smaller than all the ciosk. Anyone have immense trouble with the isobrick? Looking at my board once again I can squeeze 7 pedals in with the isobrick on the top of my board.

8. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I had one for several years and it was okay. well, a couple of LED lights were dead, but that was it. I especially liked the variable voltage control for analogue pedals.

9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I own and use the Iso Brick. It has been reliable so far…

10. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    I have a DC7 and it's killer... I don't even need to use all the stuff it can do since I don't have any eventide pedals or other power hungry ones. The DC7 is sturdy af and really low profile, as well as capable of expansion and is compatible with the strymon or other Cioks stuff, so depending on what you do, you'll probably never outgrow it.

It is lower profile and lighter than the other ps in it's class, and you can swap the voltage of all 7 outs. And hey, it has a USB power out too, in case you want to charge your phone during your set.

The only downside here (aside from the price) is the outlet placement - 4 on 1 side, 3 on the other, as opposed to the competition in a line on the front. They had to do something to make it this small.

Big rec.

Jeff Elkins, WILLMAN and el murdoque like this.
  11. dopejohnpaul

dopejohnpaul Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Bonaire, GA
    I LOVE using the ISO Brick. It’s quiet and versatile. However, not on your list, is the Gator PWR-12, which is what I’ve just switched over to. I’ve been very satisfied so far. It’s quiet, powerful, and has versatile options without seeming random. Also has usb-c port and AC plug.

12. Zak TMD

Zak TMD

Apr 22, 2016
    Outside of the heart of darkness, Washington, DC
    Breaking even is the new making money.
    Just realized you said "DC8" my bad.

13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    One thing to think about:
    Both the MXR and the Rockboard are fed by a wall wart.
    Those come with disadvantages:
    1. The cable is a flimsy, weak affair. Put it on stage, let someone's foot get caught during performance and you'll finish without pedals.
    2. That bulky thing can and will cause trouble on those gigs where the sockets get crowded.
    3. Limited reach. I got the cable my Cioks came with which is around 6ft, plus an 18ft version.

I don't know what board you're using but many of the Cioks PSUs fit even under the Pedaltrain Nano/Metro boards.
    ...and with a GOOD isolated PSU, you can daisy chain a bit here and there, so you can actually power more pedals than you have outlets.

Zak TMD and WILLMAN like this.
  14. WILLMAN

WILLMAN

Jun 5, 2020
    You guys all make some great points thank you very much! Im happy to hear from my fav community. I think im going to go with the Ciosk DC8 since those guys have so much love. Thanks gang.

15. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've been using the Rockboard unit for a few months now and it works great. The only pedal I've run into issues with is a Fulltone Dejavibe: when using it plugged off the 18v outlet on the Rockboard, it's like the effect never fully turns off. Even when stomped off, I still get a high frequency oscillation that I can adjust with the foot treadle.Not the full filtering effect, but I can hear a high hum that is coming from that pedal. That said, I have no run into that issue running any other 18v pedal, and I'm pretty certain it has more to do with the pedal than the power supply board.

WILLMAN likes this.
  16. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Get a Cioks DC7, cry only once. It will be worth it.

Zak TMD, Jeff Elkins and WILLMAN like this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022