1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Request Rocket 88

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by FenderB, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Would love to have this transcribed. Tabs not needed.
    Thanks,

2. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Charlottesville, VA
    This is 12 bar blues in Eb, and arguably the first example of rock and roll according to Wikipedia. Maybe because of the distorted guitar. The chord progression is Eb7x4 Ab7x2 Eb7x2 Bb7 Ab7 Eb7x2. The basic bass pattern is 1 1 #2 3 5 5 6 5, so on the Eb7 chord it's Eb Eb F# G Bb Bb C Bb. Some times he holds the 6 at the end.

My question is the outro. Is that a bass doing high double stops? The chords are great in the outro. The Ab chord is an Ab9, which almost sounds like Ebmin because of the emphasis of the Gb and Bb.

Ike Turner played some bass, but I think he plays piano on this recording.

3. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    According to the book "Deep Blues" this is his band the "Kings of Rhythm. One of the members, and his closest friend, Jackie Brenston was the baritone sax player who sang this song. According to this book Ike was one hell of a piano player, the first one to actually play it standing up. And yes it has been credited with being the first R&R song.

Question for you Lee; when you write Eb7x4, does that mean your playing that chord 4 times? Ab7x2 would be played 2 times? Or is there another meaning to that?

LeeNunn likes this.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Yeah, you got it right. Eb7, four times, followed by Ab7, two times. Ike Turner is the original king of rock n' roll piano, total monster player. It is a shame about his personal life.

FenderB likes this.
  5. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yea it was, but from what I understand he actually got himself back together again in later life. Played music right up to the end. Thanks for the reply. This song is way out of my league as far a speed goes but I thought it would be fun to noodle around with. Use as a warm up exercise and help with my speed.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021